Skip to main content

First Book Update of 2007

After nearly three years of writing, researching and editing, I finally have a full manuscript for Post. This by no means implies this is the draft you'll see in printed form, but it's a start. Just getting to this point feels like a major accomplishment and I feel great.

As far as who will release this book, that is still up in the air. Though the original intention was to release this independently on Mission Label, that is not the case anymore. Nick and I are still very close friends, but for the benefit of everyone involved, this is a story worth shopping around. I know I have expressed feelings of trepidation about going with professional middlemen before, but I feel this has been a very good decision not just for me, but for the whole book. I do not feel like I've bent over backwards; rather, I feel like I've bent forward in a comfortable way, making something I'm really proud of. This is something I doubt I would be as happy with had I not sought all my options.

A source of constant worry was the topic of selling out. Giving up core values in the hopes of extreme financial gain is still not appealing to me. But a source of greater worry is the topic of selling myself short. I wanted to keep the release rather low-key because of my tendency to not want to show a wider world what I'm all about. It's as if showing any kind of ambition is a sin. I've always had ambitions for this book, but I never wanted to admit to them for fear of having lofty pipe dreams. I don't think it's a pipe dream to have this in stores and make it easy to obtain online.

Thankfully, the way people respond to the book publishing world is a lot different than the music world. At no point has someone given me flak or expressed extreme concern about going with a "name" publisher. If anything, these people want to read it as is, regardless of the publisher. (Wouldn't it be nice if people treated the music industry that way as well?)

So there you have it as of 11:30am Friday, February 9th, 2007. Stay tuned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
now THAT is exciting news!
josh Mueller said…
Summer Reading List!
That is awesome! Congrats on finishing that up. Good luck with the rest of it.

Jeff Wood
An Urban Femme said…
Cool! That's great news!
Py Korry said…
Wonderful news!!!
Random Kath said…
Congratulations, Eric! That's such an awesome achievement - I can't wait until it gets published, by whoever!

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...