Skip to main content

B.N. (Before Netflix)

I'm still a very satisfied Netflix subscriber, but I can't help noticing something: my personal DVD collection has not grown that much since I signed up for the service. Is this necessarily bad? Nope. I think it's a relief.

I own a few movies on DVD that are far from favorites of mine. I don't own any movies I absolutely detest, but given the choice of watching American Splendor or Manhunter, American Splendor wins out. I'm not saying Manhunter is a bad film, but the reason why I own it is because there was no way of renting it when I got it. As a fan of the Hannibal Lector films, I wanted to see this different vision made a few years before Silence of the Lambs was made. I had never seen the movie, but heard good things about it. The risk was worth taking.

When I was in college and when I first moved to Dallas, the only options with renting were Blockbuster, Blockbuster and . . . Blockbuster. I never knew the existence of a place like Premiere Video in the SMU area. Besides, I would have never considered driving all the way from Fort Worth or even north Dallas just to rent a movie. So, with at least two Blockbusters within ten minutes of where I lived, I'd look and see what all I could choose from. More often than not, I found oodles of copies of a Ben Stiller vehicle ("Guaranteed to Be There!") while I found classics like The Apartment and Double Indemnity only available in crappy, pan-and-scan VHS. And I didn't even bother looking that far into their music section for concert videos or the like.

In other words, there was a tremendous void. This was right as the DVD market exploded and the VHS section was quickly shrinking year after year. Still, the selection of movies I wanted to watch went down to nil. At the time I considered going to Netflix, I realized I couldn't rent The Ben Stiller Show or the BBC version of The Office from Blockbuster. That was 2004 and I haven't stepped into a Blockbuster store ever since.

I don't mean to slag Blockbuster here. My tastes are simply different from what they carry en masse. I don't want to see A Night at the Museum; I want to watch Maxed Out. I don't want to watch another direct-to-rental American Pie spinoff; I want to watch The Last Picture Show. I'm firmly aware that I am not the target demographic here and that's OK.

For my budget, I'm glad that the cost of risk with renting a DVD from Netflix is much lower than buying it on a whim. I don't regret buying movies like The Player or The Hidden Fortress on DVD (my then Best Buy employee discount also had a lot to do with this), but ever since 2004, the DVDs I want to own are the ones that I truly love and want to watch over and over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J