Skip to main content

When Bland Questions Get Bland Answers

Word spread last Friday afternoon about an apparently bad interview with Sigur Ros on NPR's The Bryant Park Project. Prefaced that the interviewer still loves the band's music, he went on to write this:
. . . the band showed up promptly at 11am (EDT) and commenced to give what is possibly the worst interview in the history of electronic media.

Seriously.

It was that bad.

Right away, I'm thinking this is not going to be good. Didn't matter how bad the interview actually went; the claim about being "possibly the worst interview in the history of electronic media" rubs me the wrong way. It's just like whenever someone says anything is the "worst ever." Meaning, an exaggeration that makes something seem the worst of the worst when there has been way worse in our society's long and rich history. Besides, anytime a claim like this is made, there is usually a counter claim that this wasn't so bad after all. (I still stand behind the fact that there is nothing worse than terminal cancer, but I digress.)

So I watched almost three minutes of this five minute interview and found it to be a tough listen/watch. But I realized that the fault of this bad interview was not necessarily the band or the interviewer: it was the questions themselves. Here's a sampling with answers:

Did you start out playing this kind of music or did you start out as a more, regular sounding band and then did you go here as you experimented?

I dunno. I think we started playing out like this.

How do you guys create a song?

We sit down and create the song.

More questions rendered short, hushed answers:
Did you think you would be [a] band that would sell 2 million records?

Could you ever have imagined it would become this kind of phenomenon?

Are you enjoying life as a successful band? . . . Is it fun?

These are the kinds of questions that interviewers ask all the time, but I think they are a little bland. As a matter of fact, they're too bland. Softballs or even baseballs aren't being thrown here; they're set up like a T-ball game where the batters have to do most of the work.

I've heard interviews -- hell, even conducted interviews -- where the questions were very general in nature, but the interviews turned out fine. The band/band member played with the questions and was polite even if what we talked about just skimmed the surface. Yet ever since my college radio days, I've wanted to do more of a conversation that digs deeper into the person's life. That's just what I prefer to know and hear about.

Now, some people have sided with the interviewer saying the show was more for a "general audience" on NPR. I beg to differ. NPR carries such shows as Car Talk, Prairie Home Companion and Sound Opinions -- shows that are not for a general, lowest common denominator audience. In other words, it wouldn't seem far-fetched to ask Sigur Ros what kind of violin bow they use or how old their studio is.

I've come to realize that not everybody I interview is not going to be the most engaging person in an interview setting. No matter how extraordinary their work seems to me, some people just don't have a lot to say about it. With Sigur Ros, their music is way more interesting and it speaks for itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J