Skip to main content

Free show

Over the weekend, in preparation for the Dallas Observer Music Awards, there was a lengthy showcase devoted to bands that were nominated. I reviewed three sets, all at different venues and for completely different acts. Needless to say, as much as I had fun with Diana as my plus-one, we didn't spend a lot of time on our feet yesterday.

As we walked up and heard the Secret Machines rock the you-kn0w-what out on "Lightning Blue Eyes," the tone of the rest of evening was bands, bands, bands. In a way, with our pink wristbands on our right hands, I thought we were at a mini-SXSW.

At some point, I thought about the privileges that my friends with SXSW badges have every year and compared them to what we had with our wristbands. Basically, we got into any of the sponsoring venues for free and could come and go as we pleased.

That leads me to something I remembered Jim DeRogatis told me about how he reviews shows. He's never forgotten what it was like to pay good money to see a show and feel disappointed. Even though he reviewed many shows for the Sun-Times for free, he kept that mindset.

I agree with that mindset, but I must admit that it's easy to forget as well.

I don't think I have been let down any of the shows I've covered for DC9. Then again, I haven't covered big shows where decent tickets neared the $100 mark. I think at most with the shows I've covered, the Warped Tour was $40 a ticket, but there were almost 100 bands playing that day.

I can remember the first time I saw the Dillinger Escape Plan. They played at the Ridglea Theater and I paid something like $20 to see them. Even though they played for only an hour, they were towering and blew my face off. I kept that in mind when I got to see them for free back in March. I thought they were even better.

But I think a big factor to enjoying any show (free or paid) is where you stand. Seeing Seryn early Sunday morning right up in front was a whole different experience than if I saw them at the back of the bar. According to comments left on my Hold Steady show review, there were people that weren't happy with the sound mix. Where I stood with Diana (two tiers up from the stage, between center and stage left), we heard everything just fine. Oh, and we had earplugs in too.

I'm thankful that I can get into shows I want to go for free. When I spend fifteen years paying to go to shows, the desire to get a good (or great) experience stays with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J