Skip to main content

I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

Not too long after I finished completing my Rush catalog, I decided to fill some holes elsewhere in my library. I'm not trying to be a total completist here, but if there's a band who's consistently good (and I like), then it's worth considering some looking around local used CD stores.

After I found $2 copies of Oasis's Be Here Now and Don't Believe The Truth, I figured I should finish my collection with a copy of Dig Out Your Soul. I still maintain the attitude that (What's the Story) Morning Glory is my favorite Oasis record from start to finish, but I'm glad I found other tracks, like "Mucky Fingers," very much worth my while.

My reasoning for a lapse in following Oasis can really be summed up by my initial impressions of Be Here Now and Heathen Chemistry. I was simply tired of them and tired of reading about them. Oasis was a band perfect for the British weeklies, given how Noel and Liam knew how to get editors excited with choice words. But when it came time to talking about their music, I heard the most about how they copying this legendary artist and this one and this one. I had enough.

I'm glad I've revisited those later albums with Gem Archer and Andy Bell, especially Don't Believe The Truth. Not the best material of their career, but definitely something that should not be skipped over if you actually like Oasis.

And then there's U2.

U2 was the first band I ever wanted to own every album by. I was in seventh grade and I wanted everything, from Boy through Achtung Baby, on cassette. I still have those tapes in my parents' house, but I had yet to really get into the remastered versions of Boy, October, and War. This was mainly due to confusion with the various editions of each one released.

With purchasing a box set with all the bells and whistles, I'm excited about going back to "Stories for Boys," "Out of Control," and "I Fall Down." Couple that with Pop and No Line On the Horizon, I'm quite satisfied with my U2 portion. I can only hope Rattle & Hum gets some kind of reissue, even though there are very mixed feelings about that collection and its accompanying movie.

Strange as it may seem and daunting as it is to have so much music, but it's only natural for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J