Skip to main content

Aiming for the center of the Death Star

Over the weekend, Diana posted an update on her condition. The basics of her latest PET scan: doctors hoped the mass would be gone by now, but it is not. Luckily, the mass is half the size of what it originally was and it remains isolated. More chemo is down the line, but stem cell treatment might be too.

These results could have been much, much worse. I don't want to get bogged down in thinking about the cancer spreading or the mass remaining its same size. Rather, I want to focus on what I have seen since my previous update last month.

The ugly stuff first. Yes, there have been some spells of depression here and there. Many factors, including isolation and the starting-to-feel-good-then-more-chemo cycle, put her mind in a place where she seemed to be pushing away almost every good thing in her life.

It hurts to see someone you love start to drown, so I am thankful she was able to come back up for air. And she's stayed afloat.

While we aren't going on three-mile bikerides these days, she has been able to take nice long walks around her house. When she said a few months ago she's been able to breathe better than she has in a long time, I smiled. I still smile when I think of her mentioning it in passing.

In the past few weeks, we've gone out shopping, to the movies, and pleasantly enjoying life when it doesn't feel like a sauna outside. Juggling work schedules and other appointments (and deadlines for me), we get to see each other when we can, which is roughly twice a week.

I have been asked if I'm disappointed we had to put our future plans on hold. I have not. It's been hard to see someone you love be thrown such a curveball in life. Yet I find myself loving this person even more because of how she's dealt with this curveball.

When I had some medical issues back in April, I reminded myself of how Diana handled herself in the hospital. Sure, there were concerns and fears, but at no point was she difficult. I kept that in mind as I had to have some emergency treatment to a hemorrhoid that had ballooned to the size of my thumb. I also kept her professional and mature side intact when I went to the dermatologist last week. While it isn't the most fun treating a doctor and his nurse to a peep show (because moles are all over my body), I didn't let fear of seeing a potential cancerous mole overpower me.

We're not in the clear yet. I'm not declaring a victory or a defeat. Cancer isn't like a pulled muscle or a cold, hence why I like to call it a journey. The journey keeps going and Diana is staying on a path with "Fuck Cancer" signs all along it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J