Skip to main content

Danzig in the Moonlight

Coming into Dada last night, I was a fan of Ken Stringfellow's work with the Posies, Big Star, and R.E.M. Coming out of it, I became a fanatic of his solo material.

Prior to this evening, I had my rarely-played promo copy of 2001's Touched and memories of The Big Takeover's Jack Rabid heaping a lot of praise for Touched and having Stringfellow play his wedding. Given my enjoyment of the Posies' material, especially Dear 23, Frosting on the Beater, and Amazing Disgrace, and knowing how intense his showmanship is as a performer, I thought I'd simply enjoy a solo set from it.

Well, I happened to see one of the best shows I've seen this year.

A low turnout was in plain sight (only 17 paid to get in), so Ken decided to perform while standing on the floor without a vocal microphone. Playing so close that he could breathe on people, this was a kind of intimacy I've rarely seen at shows. He played a lot of solo material either on his electric guitar or electric piano and a few tunes with a local female singer/songwriter. Each song was played with complete sincerity -- punctuated by an incredible knack for hitting high notes that never screeched or felt unwelcome.

I never knew how great Ken was on the piano. I had never seen him play live with R.E.M., but I was amazed at how he could play intricate chords all over the 88 keys -- and usually just in one song. The material itself reminded me of why I love Burt Bacharach, Elton John, and Ben Folds -- there might be a lot of chords in one song, but they certainly prevent the song from becoming predictable, melody-wise.

Towards the end of his set, he took requests. Just as I was about to say "You Avoid Parties," there were louder shouts for the song and he obliged. While it is not as well known as "Dream All Day" or "Solar Sister," the song perfectly fit the mood for the show. And I couldn't help sing along under my breath. With the last few weeks being such a vulnerable and trying patch in my life, the goosebumps kicked in while he played.

Talking with Ken afterwards and talking with fellow fanatics, I came away from something I surely won't forget. And thanks to the generosity of one these fellow attendees, I have this picture to share. Now I've joined the ranks of those that go see anything Posies-related come hell or high water.


Comments

Ted said…
Sounds like an amazing show! Glad it elevated your spirits and helped you through the rough patch you were going through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J