Skip to main content

Favorites of Year's Past Revisited

Since I've been writing up my favorite records of this year, I've decided to revisit some of the ones that I called my favorites of yesteryear.

Ryan Adams, Gold
The album of 2001 for me. A 16-track album with ups and downs in moods, but never drags. Even though it came out in the fall, I got more into it than any other record that I got that year. Interestingly, the album really made an impression on me after sitting in stop-n-go traffic on I-45 through Corsicana for 50 minutes. I had a lot of time to listen and I think that's the beauty of traffic: it's an opportunity to spend more time listening to music. I think I listened to the album 1.5 times and by the time I got out of the bottleneck, I knew what was going to top my year-end list.

Now, I don't listen to Gold as much as I do with later efforts like Love is Hell and Rock N Roll, but I still think very highly of Adams's overall work (even though I gave a cold shoulder to some of his new records that came out this year).

Bright Eyes, Lifted . . . or The Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground
A glowing, 4-star review in Rolling Stone made me very curious about this record in 2002. I had heard tidbits of Conor Oberst's stuff through EPs, but nothing more. Burning a CD-R copy of KTCU's copy, I was pretty amazed by what I heard right away. Combining marching band-like drumlines with strings, horns, gang vocals and keyboards was a great augment to Oberst's intimate folk leanings. The lyrics were especially great: hopeful, angry, frustrated (aka, feelings I was feeling back in 2002, my first year out of college).

Listening to the record now, I still really enjoy the vastness of the songs, but the lyrics sound stuck in the mindset of an early 20-something. That stuff was what Oberst was dealing with at the time, so I don't think he's at fault for writing such frank lyrics. With what all I've gone through since this record (and now approaching my late-20s), certain problems/anxieties I had in 2002 aren't as pronounced in 2005. So, listening to this record now sounds like a former worn-out version of my post-college angst.

Hey Mercedes, Loses Control
2003 was the last time I ever saw Hey Mercedes play. They played a number of songs from this album, but it was unreleased at the time. Given my prowling of peer-to-peer networks, I obtained an unmastered version of this record and played it a lot. By the time of the show, I knew almost all of the words and sang along. Of course I looked like a fool being the only one in the front singing along to them, but then again, I didn't care in that moment.

Listening now, I think the music and lyrics hold up. Bob always writes lyrics from an angle that knows no distinguishable age. So a line like, "quality time with the unkind/is better than being alone" still rings true for me. I still say the band's first album, Everynight Fireworks, is my favorite of their's but Loses Control is a very worthy follow-up.

Modest Mouse, Good News for People Who Love Bad News
This was a surprise in 2004. I had heard little tidbits of MM over the years but never really paid close attention to them. Based on general curiosity, I picked this up for $7.99 at Best Buy and was very happy with what I bought. An incredibly diverse record musically (banjos, horns, strings, light piano, along with standard guitar-bass-drums) with some very enlightened lyrics.

The most convincing side of this record is that it's hopeful but not a watered-down, preachy kind of hopeful. Isaac Brock comes across as a grouch in interviews, but he lays a lot of eggs of truth on Good News. Even though "Float On" has been played to the point of annoyance via a variety of places (especially the Kidz Bop version), a line like "Even if things get heavy/we'll all float on all right" still rings true for me today.

Comments

Eric said…
You and I know that Braid is one of the best ever. Hey Mercedes never really did it for me. Same great Bob, but something missing and just a little on the bland side.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J