Skip to main content

Payback -- literary edition

Py Korry issued a Self-Torture Book Challenge; a challenge to read a book you would never, ever, read. In his case, he's reading Private, a fictional tale of a 15-year-old's dealings at a private school in Connecticut. Since this book is aimed at teenage girls fascinated with high school gossip, this 42-year-old, happily-married man is reading something he is sure will be utter crap. Not even sure if he could read it the whole way through, he's taking the challenge.

But I wonder: could I take the Self-Torture Book Challenge? At the moment, hell no!

My feeling is, it's taken a long time to enjoy reading books for pleasure. Why should I try to jeopardize this? If I did, is this the beginning of payback for me? Meaning, payback for all the zany and silly TV shows, movies, and books I subjected my parents to as a child? Will I have a better understanding of what parents have to go through with their kids when they're young? Yikes. Yikes. Yikes.

When it comes to free-time, I don't want to consume something I'm fairly certain I'm not going to enjoy. Nope, I'm not one to take something at face value. I know trying to read Modest Mouse -- A Pretty Good Read will make me want to throw it across the room. So why should I spend quality time with a non-quality book? Hence the challenge. In my case as an author, it's really challenging.

In the last three years, I've completed one book and have begun work on another. Lots of time has been devoted to making the material as strong as possible. Facts are checked and re-checked. Tone and pacing are looked at over and over again. Feedback is welcomed from my peers. It's a long, but rewarding process. So it makes me wonder when I see some poorly-written rush job get notoriety. Frankly, it feels like a slap in the face and fuels further impatience. But, all good things in time, right? I believe in that, but I get distracted whenever I see crappy books always in stock at my local bookstores.

So, for now, I'm passing on the challenge. What about you? Do you think you're up for this?

Comments

Ted said…
I gotta say that it was amusing when I came up with the challenge. However, actually reading the book "Private" is a real lesson in pain.

I'm at halfway point and I think the author just revealed the plot.
stevie said…
I did this last summer when I read The Da Vinci Code after buying it for $1 at a garage sale. It was the worst thing ever. I won't do it again.
Rj said…
I hate to admit it, but I'm not reading books I want to read right now. I got out of reading for pleasure in College, and I just haven't gotten back into the swing of things yet. And working at a bookstore for 5 years didn't help. I could probably put 15-30 books(not including series) on my queue of stuff I'm interested in. So I'll pass on reading something I don't think I'd enjoy for now.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...