Skip to main content

The Popular Music

As I looked back over my Complete Idiot's Guides this week, along with reading two AV Club pieces about great albums from the late Nineties, I thought about the context in which these records originally came out. Since I remember this time very well, I figured I'd share some thoughts. Mostly, how music history seems bigger, more magical and to a degree, innocent, when looking back.

1997 was the year I graduated high school and started college. I found myself falling out with a couple of friends who were my best friends through high school and found myself hanging out with people who I still consider best friends today. Music was a topic we often discussed and we raved about the great records of the day. Records like OK Computer, Brighten the Corners and Whatever and Ever Amen were just some of the ones we talked about. The deal was, most of this stuff was not getting heavy rotation on MTV or VH1 or on our big local radio station. The Internet was mostly used for e-mailing and the idea of high-speed Internet was a few years off.

Now I'm not going to spin things and say life was tougher or more optimistic then, but for me, life in general was different. I had yet to have the "college experience" because I was taking classes at a community college. Plus, I had yet to live on my own. In other words, these were experiences that greatly altered my life. With those experiences and new experiences happening here and there, my taste in music slowly branched out.

The interesting thing is, looking at the main AV Club piece, a lot of these records were not given the most amount of coverage in mainstream publications or channels. With the exception of the hip-hop records and OK Computer, most of this stuff was relegated to a few airings on 120 Minutes and M2, along with short articles in Spin, Alternative Press and Rolling Stone. I think I heard more about how grunge is dead and electronica is the next big thing. Ska was huge, as was big-band style swing. Pop-punk had been played out for many. Outside of what my friends and I raved about, I heard more about what sucked compared to what was great.

But what still gets talked about all these years later is the stuff that sticks. And there's nothing wrong with that. I just find it misleading for people who weren't clued into these records back in the day to think things were better back then. I just don't believe in the idea that the quality of modern music dies when your jaded elders lose interest in it.

I'm of the opinion that great modern music is always out there. It just requires some digging around to find. There will always be crap out there as well. It's very much a yin and yang sort of flow. Thankfully, memory tends to favor the better stuff over the crappy stuff. And that's good to know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J