Skip to main content

Ten things

A friend of mine passed along a pretty accurate list called "Top 10 Things From Your 20's That You'll Regret When You're 40." Just for fun, I thought I'd add my two cents.

10. Body Piercing Plugs
Unlike neck tattoos, at least holes from eyebrow rings and nose rings can close back up.

9. Risque Internet Pics
I laugh whenever parents get up in arms when they hear that their child has become a party animal at college. Freshmen didn't learn their habits from strangers or even the lawnmowers hired to come out every week. So I'm sure there will come a day when somebody who didn't think these fun little pictures would ever come back and haunt them. (I'm not off the hook here. Even though I don't have any risque pictures online, there are plenty of me acting really silly. Poses can be best described as theater meets metal/hardcore. Hey, at least I have all my clothes on.)

8. Tattoos
I have no problem with people that choose to get some or a lot of ink. I have no problem with friends of mine who have entire arms devoted to ink. I do question the longtime impact of getting a neck tattoo. You can't wear turtlenecks every day of the year at work, you know.

7. Choosing Your Best Friend’s Girlfriend Over Your Best Friend
Your best friends are always there for you. When you think choosing your best friend's significant other is a small thing, you might as well start the grieving process over a lost friend.

6. Getting Married Too Young
I think it's imperative to find yourself before you can find anybody else. Don't expect somebody else to find your voice for you.

5. Not Traveling (Enough)
I was never the type that wanted to travel the world once I was done with college. It's very hard to travel alone, and I've never really pondered travelling with a friend. Maybe I should start.

4. Not Finishing School
Unless there's a multi-million dollar contract for you to play professional sports, I'd suggest staying until the end of school. Taking a few years off to do a band is fine, but a college degree is pretty important to have. Now, working a job you hate just so you can make a tidy sum of money is not a good idea either.

3. Smoking
I know way too many people who talk about quitting smoking, but never follow through. I don't mean to say this in a judging way, but I'm never surprised when they get back into it. Addiction to nicotine is intense. My advice for my friends and everybody else: quit, and don't tell anybody until months, or even a year, afterwards.

2. Bad Credit
Don't spend on money on something you can't buy already, or pay off within a year. Unless you're talking about a car or a home, the idea of bad credit has scared the crap out of me. Then again, taking a lot of risks in life scares the crap out of me because of sense of being in trouble. The fear of disappointing others is a very restricting viewpoint.

1. Not Spending More Time With Your Parents
I think I heard it best in the acknowledgements in a book I read a few years ago. The author thanked his parents, saying he gains more respect for them with each passing year. Yes, it's incredibly important to have your own way of life, but don't forget how important your parents are. They might piss you off during the transition years between child to adult, but when you become a parent yourself, a lot of things start making sense. If you don't try to resolve whatever issues you have with your parents while they're alive, they're definitely not going away when they pass away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J