Skip to main content

You Could Be Mine

Steven Hyden has a pretty solid look back at being a teenager in the 1990s on the A.V. Club's site. Dubbed "Whatever Happened to Alternative Nation?," this ongoing series is right up my alley because I lived it. Even though it was from the window MTV provided every day, I got the sense that people my age were seeing something drastic and cool changing before our eyes.

His second entry, focusing on the rise of Nirvana and the slow wane of Guns N Roses, provides a context that seems like distant history today. You couldn't really find a more popular rock band in 1991 and 1992 than Guns N Roses, Metallica, Pearl Jam, or Nirvana. Maybe for reasons of how Axl Rose has carried the brand name over all these years and spending all that time on Chinese Democracy, history doesn't seem to be kind to GN-f'n-R.

Forget all those millions of copies Use Your Illusion I and II sold. When it comes to talking about GNR these days, it's all about how stunning a debut Appetite For Destruction was and oh yeah, they put out a few more records before everybody but Axl and Dizzy left. That's sad.

The time I spent in front of MTV during those first few years of the '90s, all of the videos produced for GNR's double album got airplay. From "You Could Be Mine" to "Don't Cry" to "November Rain" to "Estranged" and everything in between, those guys shared air time with a constant rotation of Metallica videos, Nirvana videos, and Pearl Jam videos, as well as stuff by Naughty By Nature, Salt-N-Pepa, and En Vogue.

As sad as how history has treated the band, I've slowly come to realize why Appetite is considered a hard rock classic and the others aren't.

While working with Teddy Andreadis at Rock N Roll Fantasy Camp, he mentioned his touring days with Guns N Roses. He mentioned how the band received some flack by going from a rip-roaring, two-middle-fingers, guitar rock band to a rock band with a lot of piano. The grit was still there, but even angry songs seemed to not pulverize your ears.

As I listened to the band's greatest hits collection on a recent trip to Houston, I heard the transition Teddy was referring to. But I also remember being a teenager and not minding.

Maybe it was the awesomeness of the videos ("Hey, look, the band is playing on top of a tower!" to "Man, Slash's solo in front of a church is stunning!") but I never cared about the differences between "Paradise City" and "Yesterdays." Axl still had that sneer, Slash always played great solos, and the rest of the band kicked a lot of ass too. What more did I need?

I applaud Steven for taking something like this on. The underdogs tend to get documented, but the overachievers sometime get lost in the pile too.

Comments

Andy said…
As sad as how background has treated the band, I've gradually arrive to understand why Appetite is regarded a tough rock traditional as properly as the other people aren't.
I have played the online games especially the wow for a long time and I have some good suggestions for everyone to get the bestSell WOW Gold via more easy and safe ways, I also have the best advice for you of the WOW Gold Cheap, please don't hesitate !

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J