Skip to main content

Just checked in

Last week, Diana received serious news about her health. This was a kind of serious news that made her, along with her friends, family, and me, quite nervous. Did she immediately write a blog post or make a grand declaration about it on Facebook, mere minutes after the fact? Nope. She collected her thoughts and wrote lengthy posts on her new blog. All along, I thought she did (and continues to do) the right thing in sharing this news.

I'll let her speak for herself about her health (this post is a good starting point). If you want to follow her progress, by all means, read her blog. She's a talented writer, among many, many other things.

While she, along with her family and I, received the status about her condition, we decided to not make a public announcement on our various ways of online communicating. I'm not a fan of having an open invite to a pity party, especially via Facebook. And neither is she. Slowly, more and more people close to us got the news. You can't really post a basic summary of this stuff in a few sentences without explanation, you know?

In receiving this news, I didn't want to say anything until things were firm enough. Notice there was no mention of this stuff last week while I was with her in the hospital? Well, it's because we know a few people who make their lives very public online. And frankly, it's uncomfortable to read posting after posting about whatever drama is derailing somebody's life. From a bad boss to car trouble to clothes not fitting, somebody else's business can be on everyone else's radar. Life can get trivialized that way, especially when there is not a sense of humor about it.

I know I'm very guilty of writing very public things in the past (feel free and scan those archives to the right of the page). But I've always tried to be careful about things and really think matters through before posting stuff online. From my blog to my Twitter to my Facebook page, I choose to not make this an online version of a diary.

Think about it: a diary is supposed to be private, yes? And what usually happens when someone (say your brother or mother) reads a diary written by someone else? Pure embarrassment, yes?

Blogging may have blurred some walls together in telling the difference between what's your business and what you tell people, from your best friend in high school to somebody you just met (and to people you've never met). Twitter and Facebook have blurred more things together. But is it demanded of us to update everything that we're on in the online realm, from Foursquare to Blogger? I don't think so.

It's not like I shy away from writing what I'm feeling. But you can write too much about yourself. We all have daily drama, some days it's bigger than other days. But, even as technology expands, there are plenty of reasons to not broadcast every single detail on your life online.

We still want privacy in the world, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J