Skip to main content

When We?

We have about a month of summer left, and despite my earlier hopes that When We Were the Kids would be out in the summer, it's been postponed until the fall. Finances are the bigger concern right now. Eating and keeping gas in my car are the bigger priorities than looking into self-publishing.

As much as I know there are people that want to read my second book, this is a niche release. How some books get wide acclaim, while many others float out there to hardly any acclaim, comes down to marketing. It amazes me how books like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo can get people like my parents to read them, but that's the power of recommendation from trusted sources.

It's certainly frustrating when I read a highly-touted book and wonder, How did this get passed fickle editors and picky agents? Right now, I'm reading Justin Cronin's The Passage, a book that was highly-regarded upon release (and certainly made into an even bigger deal when its film rights sold in the seven figures). Overall, the book is intriguing, but (without spoiling anything) the narrative shifts way more than most books. Starting off the first 200 pages with development of a handful of fascinating characters, then it jumps decades in time to a few dozen new characters. The reader in me knows there's a point to all this (the book is the first in a trilogy, and I'm sure the first handful of characters will be very important down the line), but the editor in me thinks, How did Cronin get away with this? Wouldn't most editors ask to make this easier to understand for the common reader?

Yes, you have to have a thick skin to navigate your way around with authoring a book. I've been through the metaphorical experience of seeing your child getting beaten up on the playground and you can't do anything about it. It certainly helps when authors you admire receive an even worse beating by naysayers. And it is nice when authors personally tell you everything will be OK at the end of the day.

When We Were the Kids has been read by a few trusted friends; friends that are the target demographic. And they dig it. Their feedback has been a helpful boost to what I've been working on for five years. Certainly is a reminder that you should put out what you want to put out. But I'm of the attitude that I should finely sculpt what I want out there instead of releasing my first assembly draft.

I look forward to the day when my Word file "WWWTK final draft" is printed and bound (and also available as an e-book), but I can't commit exactly to a release date yet. But believe me, it will be worth the wait if you liked Post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J