Skip to main content

February Record a Day (Fourth Week)

February 24th: Least Favorite Record
Warren Franklin, Your Heart Belongs to the Midwest (pic
I bought this at a house show last year directly from Warren. Warren played an excellent electric set with the current line-up of Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate). Yet when I listened to this record, which is all acoustic, I wasn't very pleased. His voice is a little too rough and shaky for my tastes. (I'm more of a Davey von Bohlen guy than a Tim Kinsella guy.) I'm more than happy to help and support musicians, but this record is not one I go to for repeat plays. 

February 25th: Record on Classic Black Vinyl
Rival Schools, United By Fate (pic)
Received this a gift from my friend Nick. I'm a monumental fan of Rival Schools. I've seen them every time they've come to town (which, so far, is only twice). This is, without question, my favorite band that Walter Schreifels has been a part of. Since this is an original pressing, it's on classic black vinyl.

February 26th: Splatter Colored Vinyl
At the Drive-In, Relationship of Command (pic)
Kinda stretched things with this. I don't have a lot of colored vinyl. I don't go out of my way for it, frankly. If a record is in a special color, it's a nice bonus, but not mandatory. This is the Record Store Day 2013 reissue of the ATDI classic. I would venture calling its color splattery tan. 

February 27th: An Album to Drink To
Frank Sinatra, September of My Years (pic)
I don't drink very often, and I believe the intent behind this one was to showcase an album you've cried yourself to sleep with. This is my favorite Sinatra record, and I can attest it goes well with a late-night drink before heading to bed, sans any crying or in a state of drunkeness. 

February 28th: Any Record
Jawbox, For Your Own Special Sweetheart (pic
I randomly picked this one out of my collection. This is Dischord's reissue with bonus digital tracks. Though I already have all of the songs (and the remastering doesn't sound far from the original mastering), it's nice to have this record on vinyl. Got it at Mad World Records last year when I turned 34.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J