Skip to main content

March Record a Day (First Week)

I had so much fun with February Record a Day, and I was happy to see there is a March Record a Day. This series might continue for the rest of the year, and I'll keep doing this until I run out of records to show.
March 1st: An Artist That Begins With the Letter M
The Moody Blues, Days of Future Past (pic
One of the earliest additions to my library when I started collecting vinyl a couple of years ago. Just a great collection of string-tinged tunes, including "Nights in White Satin."

March 2nd: An Album from a Foreign Artist
Paul Young, The Secret of Association (pic
Aside from an album of German polka songs (done by various artists), I don't have many options with what constitutes a "foreign" artist. Since Paul Young is not from America, I figured this counts. I bought this for "Every Time You Go Away" and I was surprised to hear the LP version. Certain key elements from the single version are not there, especially its outro. Definitely a record I've only played once. 

March 3rd: An Album in Poor Condition
The Osmonds, Crazy Horses (pic
Received this as a gift from the Half Price Books clearance bin. It looks like this one spent years not properly shelved and it is bent with a slight curve. When it plays on a turntable, the LP rubs against it and makes a clicking sound. Shucks. I really enjoy the Osmonds' attempt to be like Led Zeppelin.

March 4th: Album With an Etching On It
Converge, You Fail Me (pic
I'm stretching this one a little. While it's not a cool graphic made onto the playable side of the LP, there is a little scrawl saying "Converge." 

March 5th: A Double Album
Husker Du, Zen Arcade (pic
Yet another purchase from Mad World Records that didn't cost me an arm and a leg. This is a brand new pressing that shows what I had missed on the original CD version. Everything sounds fuller, and I have a better appreciation for this band.

March 6th: Album Found in a Used Bin
Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris (pic)
Many of my records are found used. Sometimes I will dig through the dust and butt sweat found in the clearance bin, but for the most part, I stick to standing and flipping. This multi-LP set was found for a dollar at a Half Price Books. I bought it just because of the Jacques Brel association. Scott Walker covered many Brel tunes in the 60s, to a tremendous effect. This play's adaptation smooths out the rough edges of the songs, making them less potent than Walker's versions. Still, I'd like to check out the play if it's available in some form or fashion.

March 7th: A Desert Island Album
Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (pic
Peter Gabriel's final record with Genesis is something I'd take to a deserted island. So much wonder, so much mystery, and most important, so much beauty on this double-LP. I just hope the island has electricity and an air conditioned room for storage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J