Skip to main content

This Town's Disaster

Blackpool Lights paid a welcome visit to Dallas last night in what I believe was their first trip here. Featuring Jim Suptic of the Get Up Kids on lead vocals and guitar, the band could be best described as straight-up, forward rock in the vein of the Replacements' Tim-era and Paul Westerberg's early solo records. Unlike the Replacements' reputation for dodgy live sets, Blackpool wasn't sloppy, drunken rock 'n' roll. They had a blast playing, despite the fact that twenty people were left in the venue by the time they played.

I missed the first band due to various factors, but I caught openers Days Away and House of Heroes. Days Away plays a pretty interesting mix of funk, chilled-out rock while also having a poppy, emoish side. However, this wasn't nasal screamo or fluffy posturing. This was good (their drummer was fantastic) albeit a little too jazzed out for my tastes. House of Heroes was good but something about them felt too calculated. When I mean calculated, I mean their songs, playing and what they wore all sounded/looked like they came from the school that over-tries to get on a major label. Not that this is an inheritantly bad thing, but they came across as a band that wants to appeal more to your teenage sister than anyone else.

With Blackpool Lights, all I knew was "This Town's Disaster" via their MySpace page and through Eric's blog. Plus, I heard they did the great Get Up Kids track, "Forgive and Forget" live. Well, they played both songs and a whole slew of other prime tracks from This Town's Disaster last night. The audience had dwindled considerably after House of Heroes played, leaving a number of older Get Up Kids fans (including me and my friend Jeremy) to watch. The band made the most of it, but I started to think.

In my time of doing interviews with ex-bandmembers of the bands I'm spotlighting for the book, none of their new bands have played to large crowds at the shows I've seen. Maritime played to maybe 30-40 people at Hailey's two summers ago. The Firebird Band played to puzzled young 'uns at the Door while they played to decent sized-crowds at the Gypsy Tea Room and Rubber Gloves. It's not like I expect all of the fans of bands like Get Up Kids, the Promise Ring and Braid to follow their ex-members in a live setting, but the carry-over seems way less.

As I thought about this, something hit me as Blackpool was finishing up their set: even the Get Up Kids played to small crowds once, so last night's sparsely-attended show was nothing new for Jim. I think the same can be said to the ex-members of Braid, the Promise Ring and others. They remember what it was like to play for thousands of people, yet they aren't throwing a fit when not a lot of people show up at their current shows.

For me, I think the most I've ever played to was a couple hundred people at the Aardvark in Fort Worth with Voigt. I played plenty of shows before and after that to far less people. Playing to small crowds is a test to see how much you really want to play. Yes, it is a lot more fun to play to a crowd that is of a decent size, but you never forget the shows to two people and members of the other bands on the bill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J