Skip to main content

Expectations

Like my previous years at South by Southwest, my experience was just over the course of one day. I'm not complaining -- I doubt I could handle sixteen-hour-days on my feet seeing band after band. Since I could only really get away for a day, I decided that Friday would be the best day to go.

Even though I had committed to going to a party in Plano late that night, I figured I could have fun in Austin during the day and drive back into town right as the party got going. Yes, I drove from Austin to Plano, and no matter how uncool Plano might be, a fun time was to be had with my friends. And I don't regret that at all.

Since I've been through the experience of waiting in lines for hours trying to get into a night show, I figured I should stick to the free day parties. So right as the night shows began, I was back on the road. But I had a very productive day at the Radio Room. Even though I watched three bands play (the Thermals, Cut Off Your Hands, and Ra Ra Riot), they were three great bands. I was especially taken with Cut Off Your Hands -- their sound reminds of the great elements of Silent Alarm and Is This It? along with classic '50s and '60s rock 'n' roll. Their You & I album is quite good.

Frankly, my goal with SXSW this year was to see friends more than to see bands. Many of the friends I saw live in Chicago, so when they're three hours closer by car, it's much closer than three hours by plane. I couldn't resist, and I had a great time. Getting to see any bands, moreover great bands, was second on the priority list.

After a great dinner at the Iron Cactus, I hit the road and ran into zero traffic on 35. Stopping a couple of times for gas and a Dairy Queen Blizzard, I was ready to party. Even though the heat from the sun made me a little wobbly, I still had a great time. I even played the drums on Rock Band 2 on the not-so-insulting "Easy" level. Still, real drums tower over drums on Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

At the end of the night, I had been up for nineteen hours straight and ready for sleep. As much as I like having a routine with a job and free time, I can't walk away from the possibility to do something fun outside of the routine. That's why SXSW is always a great diversion for me, even if I can only get away for one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J