Skip to main content

The Party's (Not) Over

This past weekend, I took in another theatrical screening of Watchmen. I wanted to see it again soon, but after reading David Hayter's open letter on Ain't It Cool News, I figured I should see it on Friday night. Hearing about the box office receipts last night and today, I was reminded of how often futile it seems to get behind any kind of cause.

I don't mean to be all pessimistic, but I have to bring out this idea I've stated here: the true success of any film is that it a) got made b) got released, and c) is available for people to see. In the long run, that's what measures the lasting success of a film, not its box office totals. If you think I'm wrong and believe that only memorable movies make a lot of money at the box office, then forget about Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life, Vertigo, Mallrats, Dazed and Confused, and A Christmas Story, to name a few.

In the case of Watchmen, the fact that the movie is a very faithful adaptation (and is a very good movie) makes it already a success in my eyes. You don't have to wonder if I'll pick it up or not when it comes out on DVD. But to the people Hayter referred to in his letter, it seemed like there was an open window for "movies that have a brain, or balls" riding on this weekend's totals. Well, hearing about how the film "plummeted" doesn't necessarily cast a light of hope. But you know what? I'm not surprised, and I'm not one to think the party's over.

Think about the logic behind this past weekend: a very hard-R film in its second week while a PG movie opens its first week. In this PG film, there are no broken bones sticking out of people's bodies, graphic sex scenes, explicit language, or arm decapitation. PG appeals to more people, a more mainstream audience, but this is March, and almost anything could go.

I don't necessarily know what kind of effect this will all mean for faithful adaptations of non-PG-13 comics into films, but at least one of the most acclaimed graphic novels of all time got a great adaptation. I'd much rather have a film that moves me, no matter how many minor tweaks were done from the original, instead of a forgettable, PG-13 interpretation about Iraq and 9/11. Yet still, people want to complain about the lack of a silly squid monster at the end of a movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J