Skip to main content

The End of an Era (Cassette Tape Edition)

Last week, I did my first interview in well over two years. I believe the last time I did an interview was for Punk Planet, for a piece that ended up making the cut for the final issue of the magazine. I must say, after two years of not doing an interview, I still really enjoy talking to band members from bands that I like, and the conversation flowed really well. Once I have my article my published, I will hopefully repost it here.

In the meantime, I realized something over the weekend about a rather bygone era that I still choose to do my interviews with: a cassette recorder. Not a micro-cassette, but one that holds a four-track size cassette. Yes, as in the size of cassette that, along with millions of kids from the 1980s, listened to on a Walkman back in the 1980s. Well, after a trip to Best Buy on Friday, I see that either the store no longer carries blank cassette tapes or they just moved them somewhere else. I have a feeling that they no longer carry them.

So this means I will finally have to face the reality of getting a mini digital recorder.

As my friend Kyle put it to me a few years ago, "Once you go digital you never go back." I'd like to say I'd agree and this could be an easy transition. But there's a side of me that is resistant to the change, given the difference in storage capacity and sound quality between analog and digital. Since I'm not sure about how you change out the digital cards and how the noise reduction sounds, I'm cautious, but willing to make a change if it's for the better. Yet in this case, I've run out of options.

To give some crucial backstory here: I have parents who still use cell phones from at least twelve years ago. In technology terms, that's a century, but my parents stick by their phones, even though the batteries quickly keep dying out and they drop calls all the time. Consider this a stubborn attitude, but if the thing still works, why should you drop it just for the latest edition that probably has a ton of bugs in there, and not all that it's cracked up to be?

So with the tape recorder, I have four blank cassettes left, and I plan to use them for an upcoming feature article. After that, either I hop onto the Internet and find more blank tapes, or get in the proverbial bed with a digital recorder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J