Skip to main content

Airplaying

I don't know when I started, but I've played plenty of air-guitar and air-drums over the years. Yes, I'm referring to the solitary act of pretending that a rock music lightning rod is at my disposal. Using my imagination, I see both of my hands playing a real guitar or a real drumset. As silly as it all sounds, I can't help but break out into action when I'm drawn to do so. If I hear a song that gets me riled up (which could be from any genre), I let loose. While it can be a fun sort of thing to do while a song is playing, I find a deeper meaning to it.

In playing a musical instrument, there is a whole lot of mental, as well as physical, concentration going on. For example, when I'm trying to learn a song from a record, I airplay along to get the parts down. Of course it's different when you try to actually play something you learned by ear, but there is greater amount of mental preparation put in to help guide the physical playing.

The interesting thing about this is that it's also rather embarassing if someone "catches" you in mid-act. I've been "caught" a few times before and while they were awkward at first, feelings smoothed out over time. I'm now to the point where I'll actually air-drum or air-guitar a short little part in public. I don't mean it as being tacky; I do it out of love for the song.

Sometimes I wonder if I should enter an air-guitar contest. While it may be fun to knock back some beers, get up on stage and let it rip, I shy away from such shenanigans. I've seen competitions where people get up and try to play like Yngwie Malmsteen with pure air. That may be fun to see, but it's definitely not the same as seeing a real guitar be ripped up and down.

Airplaying is a part of being a music fan and a musician at the same time. I recommend you use caution around where you do it, as not everyone will understand what's prompting you to do such. For those that get enjoyment out of playing music, airplaying is just something that comes with the trade.

Comments

oneofakind said…
yeah! Airplaying is cool!
Regards from Italy!

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J