Pages

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Is it safe?

The past five weeks have been extremely busy with prepping Post for production. Another page-one edit was done, this time with the assistance of a semi-secret editor who knew nothing about the bands or labels, but really understood the material. Nothing in the book's structure changed, but a lot of grammar and overloaded sentences were re-tooled. Hopefully these changes didn't make the overall book feel "overproduced."

Now that the final edit has been sent off to the publisher, I will see a new proof in about a month-and-a-half. I will have two weeks to make any last-minute corrections before the book goes into production. After that, I should have a release date.

Make no mistake, filling up free time on afternoons and weekends to edit was really tedious. But what the hell else was I going to do? Drink a lot and watch a lot of movies? I can do that at any point in my free time. I guess it's understanding the amount of free time I have and taking advantage of it. Any conversation I have with a parent reminds me of how much free time I have.

I won't lie, I have a bit of the jitters now. Kind of like someone who's about to get married, wants to get married, but is a little afraid of change because a number of things just won't be the same. Such is life: we can try to make the best things we can, but we don't really know until we unleash them out into the world at large.

No comments: