Skip to main content

The Pull Tabs

This Saturday marks something I haven't done in almost ten years: play a show with a band that has never played a show before. Kyle, Mike, and I have played quite a few shows with other bands, but together as the Pull Tabs, this will be the first one. And just the beginning, thankfully.

What started out as some friends jamming at a relatively quiet level in my bedroom morphed into a loud raging monster a few months ago. We lucked into an affordable rehearsal room two months ago, and despite being surrounded by all types of metal bands practicing as loud as us, we've retained the sound that we started with.

But what that sound is, well, it keeps morphing.

I've played in bands that writing material was always a challenge. Both bands rarely came up with material while jamming. We just practiced the same things over and over again. Hell, even one of those bands wrote a number of songs that sounded suspiciously like well-known songs by well-known bands, from the Stooges to ZZ Top.

Luckily, I've been very lucky to play with two guys who can improvise on the spot. Our material usually comes just from that.

And probably the best thing about this band is that I am encouraged to play how I play. I can play as loud as I want and don't have to worry about getting fired over it. I have my kit set-up just like I wanted it, and I play in the style that has always fit me.

I'm sure we will look back at this first show as a learning experience more than anything. You can practice all you, but things are up in the air once you step out of that zone and play for people. And I'm quite excited to take that next step.

Comments

Richard of DM said…
I am totally psyched about your band, duder. Can't wait to hear some demos, yo.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J