Skip to main content

Ridglea

I've heard rumblings about this for months, and now the rumblings have become louder: Fort Worth's Ridglea Theater may be no more soon.

Gulp.

I have not lived in Fort Worth since 2002, but I still occasionally visit to see friends and/or a show. The Ridglea is one of the few venues I went to and still went to whenever there was a good show. I'm not talking just good local shows; I saw Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Dinosaur Jr, the Flaming Lips, and the Dillinger Escape Plan there.

And, oh yeah, I saw the greatest show I've ever seen there too: Fugazi in 2002.

So, please allow some extra sorrow to emanate from me about this place closing up shop. I know this is a venue and a business and a business can't last forever and ever. But since I put more emotional attachment to a physical place (and also have a hard time coming to grips with its closure and/or demolition), this is a hard thing to take.

In some ways, I equate this to a house you either grew up in or spent many important years in be purged. Over the weekend, I heard that the house my great aunt and uncle lived in their entire married life (and I, along with my sister, spent many days in playing Battle, watching TV, looking at paintings my great aunt had made, looking at photos taken from around the world) was raised and replaced by tacky boxes doubling as condos.

Again, it's like the physical places you place so much emotional stock in are always subject to closure. Man, that's a little too heavy to understand.

But, on the flip side, thanks to existence of this theater, I did get to see those amazing shows. I even had the pleasure of playing there three times (twice with the 11:30s and once with Ashburne Glen). There's plenty of value in that. Usually the "cool" shows were in Dallas, a good 45 minutes away when I lived in Fort Worth. The Ridglea was only ten minutes away from the various places I lived.

So I thank those who were involved with the place over the years; you really touched those who cared about the place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J