Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2006

First Book Update of 2006

It's been a while since I've chimed in on the status of Post, so here's the latest:

-I've begun working on the Hot Water Music chapter. Like all the other chapters so far, each one started out from a loose outline of facts, paragraphs and quotes. At this stage, the chapter is too rough to tell how it's going to end up, but just like the other bands/labels I'm featuring, I want to pay tribute to them the best way that I can.

-The Jimmy Eat World chapter is currently stalled. I have all the info that I want to finish the chapter, but I keep getting sidetracked. I think a part of this is trying to explain how a younger generation latched onto a commercialized version of emo/post-hardcore and geek chic. I could be all bitter about the subject, but putting too much anger into writing distracts the overall message. Deep down, I do feel there are positive aspects to this kind of mainstream embrace, but also feel there are major downsides to it. There is no white without black.

-Since October of last year, my work schedule has fluctuated on a weekly (and sometimes daily) basis. Trying to sit down and set time aside for writing and researching is a little tougher now, but this really tests how much I'm willing to put into this. Of course I want it done as soon as possible, but at this point, I can't guarantee a set release date.

Another book update is forthcoming; maybe as soon as next week. Stay tuned . . .

3 comments:

gone said...

When I first heard rumblings of "Bleed American" I predicted that Jimmy Eat World would bring the "emo" stuff tot he mainstream and we'd begin hearing it everywhere. So it goes. Now, the backlash has begun, similar to the grunge era, except that now the indie kids are embracing folk, country, and roots music like never before. Who will mainstream this new indie phenome and then, in turn, kill it as Jimmy Eat World did? Let's see who starts out as "indie on a major," wait and see if they get dropped, then we can all sit back while they sell everything out for a slice of pop-culture pie and a spot on TRL. All I can say is that it better not be Sam Beam, but who better to do so? None.

Eric said...

Clarity is an all-time favorite of mine. Thanks for the book update. I can't wait to read it and reminisce.

PAgirly said...

maybe my eric could help you write your next book...wink, wink...nudge, nudge

i remember the first time we heard clarity...in boxer's van on the way to their show...it was a rough copy from someone at vagrant and it ripped right through us...the sound was incredible.

i'm stoked for the hwm chapter!