Skip to main content

Cross Me Off Your List

Let me get something out of the way right away: I still do not care for Hawthorne Heights' music. It is still the epitome of the cheeseball mall emo that today's "kids" who "don't know any better" buy. That said, I'm totally behind them on their decision to leave the label that brought them to the masses: Victory Records.

Airing dirty laundry in public never really looks good, but in this case, there is some stuff that the public should know about. To be honest, a part of me is relieved that this dam has burst and the flooding has begun.

A few months back, on the eve of the release of HH's "highly-anticipated" new record, If Only You Were Lonely, there were some rather questionable acts suggested on trying to make the album debut at number one on the Billboard Top 200 album charts. A written manifesto circulated supposedly from the band about how important this placement was for rock music in general. Plus, there were some tactics suggested on how to prevent another major release that week (R&B artist Ne-Yo) from debuting at number one. Turns out the band denied such claims and said that Victory made the manifesto and signed it in the band's name. Word from Victory owner Tony Brummel was that the manifesto was a "joke," but the story broke into a few news outlets (namely, MTV News and Punknews.org) with a lot of skepticism. Something smelled really fishy.

If Only You Were Lonely did not debut at number one -- it debuted at number three, selling a reported 114,000 copies in its first week. Since then, the record has sold well, videos have received nice airplay and the band has played sell-out shows all over the place. Great success right? Well, according to the band, this whole experience has been very bittersweet. For us on-lookers, we're seeing something that could really shake things up with Victory's image with their current audience.

During the week the album came out, Kyle did a nice summary of the goings-on between the label and the band. I echo his sentiments about Victory, an independent label that is trying to take on the major labels by becoming a label that is worse than a major label. "These tactics and hype nullify Victory's indie-vs.-major battle," he wrote. "If an indie’s copying a major’s business aggression, the line between the two disappears. You can’t wave the indie flag, then tell your street teamers to hide CDs. Or proselytize about rock’s superiority to other music."

Why should I care about all this ugly stuff from a label that usually puts out crappy records by crappy bands and occasionally releases something great? Without going into too much detail, there is personal vindication of seeing a person be taken to task by people that have been abused possibly the most by him. Taking square aim at Brummel, Hawthorne Heights now joins a long line of former bands and label employees who have complaints about how he runs his business.

In a long statement on the band's website, here is probably the quote that gets me cheering for Hawthorne Heights:
You may be wondering, why now? Why did they wait three years before saying something? Why did they sound happy in that interview??? Like being in an abusive relationship, we let certain things slide as we were afraid, as many of the bands on Victory are, to stick our neck out for fear of being "beaten," in this case represented by the threat of not being promoted as has been the case with certain bands on the roster. We're done being abused. The reasons stated above represent the final straw in a huge pile of hay that broke our backs.

All this time that Hawthorne Heights has been putting out music, I've wondered how could guys my age write such flimsy mall emo songs and claim they're being serious. Well, despite that, I'm glad that they have their heads on straight and are taking action. Being in an abusive relationship is never good, but so many people stay in them as they know exactly where the abuse is coming from. The thought of being ripped to shreds by imaginary, but possible situations in their heads is way worse. This is something we all struggle with, so I'm pretty darn inspired by Hawthorne Heights' decision to put their foot down and move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...