Skip to main content

Here to Stay

As I was finishing up my latest round of reviews for Punk Planet last night, I took a listen to the latest Sound Opinions podcast. In lieu of the usual music news they do at the top of the show, Jim and Greg reviewed the new Outkast and Christina Aguilera records. While I cannot say I really care for either act, a sense of puzzlement came over me as they talked about Aguilera's new double-disc release, Back to Basics.

When was the last time you heard of a mainstream pop artist releasing a double album? I'm not talking a rock band like Smashing Pumpkins or the Foo Fighters who have a pop appeal. I'm talking those seemingly disposable pop tarts that sell sex sex sex and also serve as role models for pre-teens and teens alike. I cannot remember a single one, but there could be a few. Double albums often test the attention span of a listener and are more often than not found in the album rock genre. With so many songs on them, double albums usually fly over the head of the "I want it now!" mindset often found with young fans of pop music.

With Back to Basics, I wonder how this will play out for Aguilera's longtime fans. What will they do with such a vast number of songs? Will they take their favorite tracks, rip them into MP3s and burn them onto a single CD-R? That seems like a logical course of action . . .

Then there is this track entitled "Thank You" which ends the first disc. Consisting of bits of phone messages left by longtime fans, the gushing and the praises are overly-congratulatory. Putting this track on an album seems like a way of "giving back," but this comes across as cringe-worthy self-lauding. Maybe this would work as a free download on a website, but putting this on an album is rather ridiculous to me. As Greg put it best: "five of the most excruciating minutes you will ever hear on a pop record by a major celebrity ever in the history of recorded music." I couldn't agree more.

It's not like I'm not a fan of pop stars that have this kind of mass appeal. I still really enjoy a number of those big hits in the '80s from Pat Benetar, Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson. Those were artists that were smart, sexy and fun and they had a string of great singles. So when I saw this second generation of pop tarts selling sex in a rather trashy way with limp songs, I couldn't get into this. Though I think Aguilera's "Beautiful" is a great song, I have yet to be convinced that this kind of "dirrty" pop is worth my time. Now I'm starting to think that these pop acts are trying to age with their audience but aren't doing that great of a job. Maybe it's prime time for a third generation to come in and speak to the MySpace generation of teens.

Comments

Rj said…
wow, a double album. I wonder if linda perry is still writing all of her songs. Linda Perry was the singer of the four non blondes. She wrote that song "beautiful" that you like.

That track with fans thanking her, just sounds fucking horrible.

What's next, a Britney Spears concept album?

Maybe a Justin Timberlake Rock Opera?
Eric Grubbs said…
Oh yeah, I remember Linda Perry and Four Non Blondes. I still enjoy "What's Up?" along with a number of the pop hits she's written. She has that Midas touch . . .

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...