Skip to main content

"A lovely cheese pizza, just for me."

It's difficult for me to remember a time when I didn't eat pizza on a regular basis. On almost every Sunday, my family had either Godfather's Pizza, Pizza Hut or Papa John's when I was growing up. Yes, we tend to eat the same stuff every week and are loyal to the places we never get tired of.

When it came to toppings, pepperoni was usually the one one we had, while sometimes we would have meat or "supreme" flavors instead. Yet in the last couple of years, I've gravitated more towards no toppings at all. Yup, I'm a cheese pizza fan. However, the idea of a pizza with no proper toppings flies over the head of people. I wonder why.

I find irony with the cheese pizza critics I've known over the years as they are all overweight. These are people who always complain about being overweight and wish to shed some pounds. Yet they always want a few toppings (especially in the meat department) when they order a pizza. Now I haven't sworn off all toppings, but when I make pizza at home (now on a regular basis), I don't add any toppings. I don't feel like I'm settling for the plain stuff -- the taste of tomato sauce and cheese is completely fine with me.

The allure of cheese pizza for me is mainly out of not wanting to eat meat with every meal. I still eat meat, but not as much as I used to. I'm not trying to become a vegetarian -- I'm just trying to change things up in the taste department. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so, but I feel like I have to be defensive with people about it.

I also find irony in a society that frowns upon obesity, yet is constantly around things that can put you on an obese fast-track in no time. You have to have french fries with your hamburger. You have to have soda with that hamburger and french fries. You have to have a large size of popcorn at the movies. And you have to have one or more toppings with your pizza. But what all do you see advertised on the rags available at the grocery store's checkout stand (in addition to celebrity gossip and sex secrets)? How to lose weight with a drug, an exercise schedule or some other way.

I don't think I'm better than anyone else with losing weight. More than anything else, I just want to fit into my old clothes. I dealt with weight problems all throughout college and I'm now at a point where I've lost a lot of weight (maybe too much weight based on this picture taken last Saturday night). Yes, eating generally less and basic exercise have helped, but sometimes I feel like I'm in that movie Thinner. Yet with the occasional bowl of Moo-llennium Crunch, the occasional beer and the occasional trip to Double Dave's, I don't think I'm on Billy Halleck's track.

I don't know if this is a continuation of stripping down all of my life to the barest essentials, but I'm glad I still have pizza in the equation. I'm glad I don't feel cynical about pizza at this point because it's hard for me to not be cynical about so much other stuff in my life these days.

Comments

fuzzbuzz said…
I'm a cheeser myself. Not all that fond of sausage and hooplah. There's just something good about the basic combination of cheese, sauce and crust. However, Vitto's bacon-spinach-tomato pizza is a rare treat that must be expererienced my friend.
Kev said…
Funny you mentioned Godfather's; my last non-music job was at one of those in Denton. The funniest thing about working there was how anal they were about portion size--you actually put each topping in a cup and weighed it on a scale to make sure you didn't give them even a quarter-ounce too much.

Before that, I delivered pizza in college, and the people who got to me were the ones who ordered the "fattiest" pizza possible: Sausage, pepperoni, hamburger, and extra cheese...and a Diet Coke. "I'm trying to cut down!" was their usual justification for this.

Oh yeah, and I went to the original Campisi's tongiht after my gig...hadn't been there in eons.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...