Skip to main content

Feeling the rapture grow

When I was in college, I would often hear about Blue Velvet. All along, I thought these people were talking about National Velvet, the 1944 film about horse racing starring Elizabeth Taylor/Mickey Rooney. I didn't recall Dennis Hopper being in it or the film being rather bizarre. If anything, it was a film that my sister liked when we were younger.

Somewhere along the way, a nice friend of mine explained what the difference was between the two films. There's no Elizabeth Taylor, horses or syrupy music in Blue Velvet and there's no Dennis Hopper, oxygen masks or dismembered ears in National Velvet. On top of that, I seriously doubt that my sister would like Blue Velvet.

I can't give a movie review of Blue Velvet right now because I haven't seen it the whole way through. No, I didn't stop it because I was offended or grossed out; the copy I rented from Netflix had two long scratches on it. I didn't realize they were there until I reached the 35-minute mark of the film, when Jeffrey is in Dorothy's closet and she confronts him with a knife. Noticing my DVD player skipping a few seconds at a time, I realized that I was missing important dialogue, even if it was a loud interrogation. Trying to fast-forward and rewind a few times, I gave up and alerted Netflix about the problem. A replacement is coming my way in a day or two, but I can't help but be annoyed.

I'm not angry at Netflix, but I found it very funny that the movie started glitching when the movie shifts into a much more tense atmosphere. I look forward to watching the rest of the movie when it arrives. I hear I'm in store for some really crazy stuff when Dennis Hopper's character shows up.

Why I'm writing all about this is because I'm really digging Lynch's work. I saw Mulholland Dr. a few years ago, but had yet to see any of his other work until recently. Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr. have strange happenings in places that look perfectly fine on the surface. I know we all have skeletons in the closet, but I find these films to have more than just skeletons in closets. There's a dark sense of comedy (especially in Twin Peaks), but it's surrounded by all sorts of oddball stuff.

Luckily, this is not oddball for the sake of oddball. Lynch creates puzzles more than straightforward films and you have to pay incredibly close attention. I learned this right away with Mulholland Dr. as I'm still not completely sure what all happens in that movie. Mixing dreams and reality to a point where it's confusing, the clues are more in the atmosphere than in the dialogue. So, I had to stop my glitching copy of Blue Velvet because I was sure that if I skipped to the next chapter, I would be missing crucial stuff. I've got a whole hour and a half to go before I can even begin to understand what's what with Blue Velvet. To be continued . . .

Comments

Unknown said…
Blue Velvet is a story about what obsession & love will drive us to do.One of my favorite topics.I could have loaned it to you.
First the Twin Peaks, now this. Personally, I thought Mulholland Dr. didn't make a lick of sense, though that weirdo homeless monster guy who peeks around the corner totally creeped me out.
p.s.

Blood Mountain is intense. Easily one of my top five this year. And that includes Leviathan.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J