Skip to main content

We're not the first/I hope we're not the last

Do we really need another film about punk rock? It depends on what it covers. If it's on something that hasn't been explored enough in film, then by all means yes.

American Hardcore is based off of Steven Blush's oral history/reference book on American hardcore between 1981 and 1985. The book has come in handy with a lot of information for my book (ie, Gainesville's Roach Motel's recorded output, straight edge's influence, early days of Dischord), but if you're expecting American Hardcore to be like Our Band Could Be Your Life, read Our Band Could Be Your Life. Blush comes across as someone who feels that hardcore came and went solely between 1981 and 1985. The word/idea 'hardcore', just like punk, has evolved into different meanings over the years, but that's not the case with telling the story of American hardcore, at least in Blush's eyes.

I argue that you can't read American Hardcore like a start-to-finish novel. Like a really good encyclopedia, it works in bits and pieces and not necessarily in order. If you read it from beginning to end, you hear over and over again about how some band forms, puts out a great 7" or two, makes an awesome album and either breaks up or goes metal (aka, they started sucking according to Blush). While a lot of the stories are incredibly thorough, you don't really get to know who these people really are.

American Hardcore seems like everything and the kitchen sink was put in, but the human-ness was left out for space. Plus, Blush often comes across as a rather narrow-minded fan of music in that hardcore is the be-all, end-all. I thought of that Vision song, "Close Minded" from time to time (sample lyric, "Everyone tells me I’m close minded/If it’s not punk rock, I’m never gonna like it"). Sorry guys, I take to the idea of punk rock like the Minutemen did: be your true self instead of a close-minded lemming.

All this said, I'm really looking forward to American Hardcore the documentary. We have the classics Another State of Mind and The Decline of Western Civilization, but they only tell parts of the overall story. Punk: Attitude briefly mentions hardcore while We Jam Econo talks about the idea of punk through the eyes of the Minutemen. None of these films focus too much on what Blush's book talks about, so I argue there's enough space right there. While I may have the same gripes with the film as I do with the book, I look forward to hearing stories told by people like Keith Morris, Ian MacKaye and Henry Rollins. Say what you will about these guys, but they are well-spoken storytellers.

I argue that the telling of a story involving a musical genre needs a lot of views. No one picture can tell the whole darn story (unless it's a 10-hour Ken Burns documentary), so the more the merrier. I'd much rather have American Hardcore, We Jam Econo, Another State of Mind and The Decline around on DVD than some worn-out VHS tapes of CHiPs and Quincy episodes dealing with stereotypical, troubled punks. This is how you honor great music with all its forms of documentation. There is plenty more of a story to tell with later years with post-hardcore, ska-punk and so on. I look forward to what all comes next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J