Skip to main content

Rings Around the World

Along the lines of my recent post about 40-50-year-old men wearing Hawaiian shirts -- what's the deal with men wearing their wedding ring on their left hand's middle finger? Yes, the traditionally longest finger that can be used to make an obscene gesture is being used as a ring finger. Here's my question: why? Are there different meanings for the ring finger these days?

The first time I saw this arrangement was on a 60-year-old man who had recently lost a lot of weight following surgery. I figured that his ring's size was too big for his ring finger, so he moved it to a thicker finger. Case closed, right? Well, a short time later I saw this arrangement on a healthy 40-something that had not lost a significant amount of weight. Now, I've seen it on a guy who's my age. On the flipside, I've never seen a woman wear her wedding or engagement ring on her middle finger. It's solely been men. So I wonder: what's the advantage or is there an advantage at all? Is there some sort of religious reason or is there any real reason at all?

All this time, I thought the reason was because the middle finger is substantially thicker than the traditional, fourth/ring finger. If the ring has become too loose on the ring finger, one would move it up to the middle finger. Taking a very informal poll by inspecting my hand, my index finger and thumb are thicker than my middle and ring fingers. The ring and the middle are about the same, so that throws that theory out the window.

I'm not fearing we're in for some revisionist rebranding of ringer fingers here, but I do mind about the placement of a ring on the middle finger. Not only would the sight of a ring on a fully-extended middle finger take away some of its obscene nature, but it looks like the guy doesn't have his bearings straight. A ring on the ring finger isn't as conspicuous as to when it is on the middle finger.

Another interpretation is that the moving of the ring to the middle finger symbolizes a marriage is in trouble. Well, none of the men I've seen with this are in troubled or failed marriages. Maybe there are religious reasons, but maybe there aren't. Maybe I should be glad that men still wear their wedding ring as it's a sign of recognized unity. Previously, I often wondered about the guys that didn't wear one at all and were still married. Of course, people can be in sham marriages and still present matters on the outside as being OK. To me, that's got to be one of the worst.

Comments

Anonymous said…
At least they can get married...

(Usually my response to everything regarding marriage)
Unknown said…
You spend alot of time pondering some pretty nothing things.It's like you're a living Seinfeld epidode.Of course that means i "LOVE" your blog.Because you know you're right alot of times.If you ever run for office you've got my vote.
Eric Grubbs said…
Grubbs in 2012? Sounds good to me!

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J