Skip to main content

I belong to the _____ Generation

Until I read Alissa Quart's Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers, I thought I was a part of the generation known as Generation X. Since the Generation X tag was frequently used throughout the Nineties to describe this young generation that was into grunge/alternative rock, I thought they were talking about me. Well, upon reading Quart's description of Generation Y, I realized that my birth year placed me in the category of Y and not X. Why do I bring all this up? Because I don't think I'm really at ease with being a part of one generation over the other. I'm still in the dark as to why I thought Generation X was something that covered at least thirty years. So, I resort to what Richard Hell sang about his own generation identity confusion: "I belong to the _____ Generation."

Reading Wikipedia's thorough entry on Generation X, I'm still confused. First gaining recognition in 1964 and appearing again in the following three decades, Generation X sounds like a wide net. Looking at the sidebar of generation names, Generation X's years are listed between 1961 and 1981, but Generation Y's years are listed between 1977-2003. Being born in 1979, I'm right in the middle. Maybe I'm just so adverse to life being factioned off into compartments, but I wonder why we bother with trying to label generations. Sure, it makes for good conversations with sociologists and reference points for articles, but as I've maintained all along, there's way more to life than labels.

I'm of the argument that there is so much carry-over with generations that it's too broad to label matters and attitudes specifically for one generation over the other. What's the criteria that supposedly separates the generations? More often than not, it's the tools and technology that were brand new in pop culture at the time. I could be lumped into the Nintendo, WWF and MTV world because that's when they were first introduced. But it's not like that stuff is no longer around. Today's teenagers are around Nintendo Wii, WWE and MTV, but they are also around stuff that wasn't around when I was their age. There were no ringtones and blogs when I was fifteen, but so what? It's not like we were living on Saturn with Klingons in the Eighties and now we're living on Mars with apes.

In my view, attitudes about life are not restrained to age. An upcoming documentary's trailer opens with this quote that rings in a very timeless way:
I hate my boss. I hate the people that I work with. I hate my parents. I hate all these all these authoritive figures. I hate politicians. I hate people in government. I hate the police and now I have a chance to be with a bunch of my own type of people and I have a chance to go off and that basically what it was.

Though this was in reference to the early- to mid-Eighties hardcore punk, I think this echoes the general appeal of rock 'n' roll in itself. I could hear a fifteen-year-old who's just getting into punk rock say this now, but I could also hear a 41-year-old say the same thing. This is the stuff that defies generation labels, so I wonder what's the deal with the grouping in the first place.

If people are going to tell me that I belong to a certain generation, I'll just keep it uneasy and difficult. I say this not as a way of thinking that I'm different or cool. Rather, this is my assertion about the grayness of life. Richard Hell never felt like he belonged to one generation or another, so he put those thoughts into a song called "Blank Generation." This song came out in 1977, two years before I was born, but the way that he describes himself in the song is pretty damn relatable even today.

Along those lines, I'll end with some lyrics from a song written ten years ago: "Generation Why" by the Reverend Horton Heat:
Beatnik, slacker, hippie or a freak
Ain't it all the same thing all of us seek?
What did gramps do, way back when?
Makes me say the same thing again and again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J