Skip to main content

Are you reelin' in the years?

Songs in my head:
"Reelin' in the Years" by Steely Dan
"Midnight Cruiser" by Steely Dan
"Dirty Work" by Steely Dan

I finished reading Fargo Rock City last night. Before I forget, I must stress many thanks to this guy for recommending it to me. Previously, I had seen the book in stores and picked it up and put it back a few times. It's a really great discussion on a style of music that is remembered mostly as a silly thing (hair metal). However, Chuck Klosterman does such a great job of writing about how we perceive, enjoy and live by the music we love. As I said yesterday, I find this book empowering because it tackles a subject matter that so many people write off as a silly.

I found this article to be rather interesting. Who would have thought there would be a backlash for a band playing for the troops in Iraq?

Maybe I'm just too jaded but I don't know how much of this is really true.

This is probably the most amount of press this guy has ever received for himself (aside from maybe a guitar magazine article). I found this quote very funny: "A spokesperson for Matchbox Twenty described the split in more concrete terms, explaining that the band 'has decided not to renew the services of Adam Gaynor.'"

If you remember the very short-lived Comedy Central talk show, The Chris Wylde Show, you might enjoy this. Post-Comedy Central, I've seen Mr. Wylde on a home redocorating show and as a pizza delivery man in a DiGiorno pizza commercial. Knowing what he looks like, I don't know if I would have recognized him last night on American Idol. Maybe it would help if I actually watched the show, but alas, I was watching Citizen Kane (with Roger Ebert's commentary track on) at the time.

I saw this headline on the Star-Telegram's frontpage and I had to laugh: "Textbooks to emphasize abstinence." Understand this, I don't think doing it when you're underage is a wise decision, but I just laugh at the sexually repressed society we live in. Those that talk like it doesn't or shouldn't happen are probably the ones that do it more than others. I'm just really tired of seeing blushing faces instead of talking about it openly.

I hear that Ben Folds' new single, "Landed," is on iTunes. Shall check it out later this morning . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J