Skip to main content

Is it hiding, covering or both?

Jason brought up a great observation/question a few days ago:

What is up with 40-50 year old men wearing Hawaiian shirts? Seriously, everywhere I turn nowadays, a guy is decked out in one, with the top button unbuttoned just enough to expose his graying chest hair. Is this the latest fad for middle-age men?

Sure, the shirt looks comfortable and loose and casual, but I can think of several other types of shirts that exhibit those qualities. Why Hawaiian?

As someone who has known people that exactly fit this persona, let me share a few things.

First things first: I like loose and open button-down shirts. What I'm not a huge fan is the kind of design that features really hot colors (ie, pink, yellow) with surfboards and/or classic cars lined up all over the shirt. I can tolerate plants and flowers to an extent, but the flashier the stuff is, the less I like it. I have no problem with a black bowling shirt with blue and red flames with bowling balls and pins, but that's about as flashy as I can take it.

I think my taste in these kinds of shirts is a sort of reaction against what I've seen before. I don't like hot colors in the first place, but these shirts tend to hide girth. With an untucked Hawaiian button-down shirt, a big belly is less visible. The attention is more on the flashy colors and designs than anything else. It's a much different story when the man is wearing a solid colored dress shirt that is tucked in.

Some popular Hawaiian stereotypes are clear skies, classic cars, endless waves and beautiful scenery. There is a draw of escapism to this world, especially in the world of stuffy industrialism. In other words, you're not seeing all the beautiful Hawaiian stuff when you're working in an industrial city everyday.

Also, I see these kinds of shirts are a way of saying: "I'm laid back." Instead of wearing a tight t-shirt or dress shirt, here's a one-size-fits-all with a lot of room. Plus, with the shirt being worn untucked, you might get the sense that this guy is not an uptight fuddy-duddy.

Now with the chest hair situation, this is where it gets gross. Yes, all men have chest hair but that doesn't mean they have the right to show it sticking out of their shirts. The average top button is at the mid-point of the chest, a space where some men have a lot of chest hair. For the men who have a lot of this showing, it's rarely flattering. I could be wrong, but I have yet to meet someone who has thought this was sexy.

Middle-aged men have a right to let loose when they're at play, so I don't blame them for being attracted to a shirt design that is all about play. That said, they have a ways to go if they don't want the fashion police critiquing them.

Comments

Rj said…
A bunch of guys at my office wear them on fridays, in ode to the movie office space. i don't think everyone is in on the joke, though.

I laughed my ass off when we went to a group lunch one day and there were like 15 guys in an elevator, all with these horrible shirts on.

There is an ongoing competition to see who can find the loudest, most obnoxious one.

What else do older men have to wear. Most go to Kohls or JC Penney, and all that is available in the mens section is hawaiian shirts, polos, dress shirts, and blank t-shirts. I've found myself in this fashion limbo as well.

I have a really lax dress code at work. Most days I'll be in shorts and flip-flops, so I can work barefoot. But when I go to buy clothing, and want something casual, it's hard not to find the same old shit in every store.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...