Skip to main content

Manchild

A little over a month ago, I heard about the comics of Brian Walsby. To be honest, I wish I had heard about this guy sooner because I now have a lot of catching up to do with his work. Bifocal Media recently put out Manchild 2: The Second Coming, a collection of Walsby's comics from the last few years. Yes, he crams a lot of dialogue and exposition into every page. That can be rather daunting at times, but it's not like he's trying to fill up the page with filler. He just has plenty to say.

If you're a fan of punk rock and know a few things about its most well-known bands and labels, you're in for a treat with Manchild 2. As someone who's read a lot of stories about '80s punk rock, I get the sense that Walsby has too. Certain pages discuss and reminisce about SST Records, Black Flag and the Descendents in humorous ways. But that's not all that Walsby covers. Telling stories of old roommates and friends, there is genuine heart behind his work. Even if you don't get what's so funny about Greg Ginn reforming Black Flag for a cat charity, you probably know people like the friends talking about life in his "Nebraska" piece.

Out of all the stuff I've seen, I would say that his satire is probably his best work. As someone who likes the music and discussing it with people, I've found various aspects really ripe for satire. So, I find a lot of Walsby's stuff as being pretty dead-on hilarious. "Singer-Songwriter Straight Edge Hardcore!" features the typical X-on-hands guys intensely singing along with Randy Newman and Nick Drake instead of Gorilla Biscuits and Earth Crisis. "The Startling Adventures of Normal Looking Guy!" features a calm, nice guy who still prefers Joy Division over Interpol. He also tries to convince some mall punks that the Bad Brains are amazing, much to their puzzlement as blink-182 fans. Walsby even addresses those he's offended over the years in ". . . Past Comes Back to Haunt Me" (see it here).

I could be at the tip of the iceberg here with Walsby's work and the work of other artists and writers that are similar. I'll admit it: I'm not as active as I am with finding comics as I am with finding music. Hitting up a comic book store, I'm prone to see never-ending superhero stories, gritty noir tales and other tales of tripped-out fantasy more than anything else. Not that these kinds of stories are bad -- I'm just looking for something that speaks closer to me (like the works of Alex Robinson and Andi Watson). As much as I would love to dig for stuff, I'm just not a huge fan of being around the kind of comic book geekdom that trolls around comic book stores. The Internet may be a great place to hear about stuff, but still, if you want to experience the whole dig, you gotta get out there.

Comments

Rj said…
that sounds cool, I'll have to check it out. I'm still looking at reading some of Alex Robinson's stuff as well.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...