Skip to main content

Long live the car crash hearts

There was a time that I absolutely hated everything about Fall Out Boy. In the archives of this blog, you will find a few pointed rants about the alleged merits and allure of this band. But you will also find some nice words about the band's 2007 album, Infinity On High. Yes, as surprising as Seth Petruzelli's win over Kimbo Slice, I really liked what the Young FOB had come out with. Yet I thought this was a fluke and didn't further investigate their follow-up, Folie a Deux.

Well, last week's edition AV Club Q&A got me thinking about the kind of pop culture that makes me feel old. Right off the top of my head, it's "greatest hits" compilations from bands that I still think are young. Young in the sense that these artists have nothing guaranteed about their legacy other than selling a lot of records. Young in the sense that their record label is trying to get the most out of a band's short lifespan. And young in the sense that I still remember when their first few albums came out less than ten years before.

As I browsed the ever-dwindling CD selection at Best Buy last Friday night, I noticed the Believers Never Die compilation. I felt old, but I also thought this could be a decent compilation. Just the hits and some rarities and a bonus DVD with commentary from the band members? I was intrigued.

When I received an advance copy of Infinity On High and liked what I heard on it, I didn't handicap the album. I wasn't thinking about puff pieces that talked about Pete Wentz's hair or who Pete was dating. I wasn't thinking about the time I saw the band open for Taking Back Sunday and finding their set to be much more style without really any trace of substance. And I wasn't thinking about all the ugly things I had said about them, as well as people my age.

I've found that a lot of people my age hated and still hate this band. I respect that. As I wrote POST, I tried to put all this "Oh my gosh!! FOB fo-eva!!!" fandom in the background and really focus on bands and a time when this wasn't a mainstream identity. But I've always stood behind the notion that you should like what you should like when it comes to music. If you like a song, you shouldn't have to deal with the sociological implications. You can that way, but fessing up to this stuff usually comes with a defensive tone.

Some friends of mine who are a few years older than me have spoken up about their fandom as well. Sure, they received a lot of flak, but they stand by their opinions.

I'm not saying, "Hey, you know, Adolf Hitler was not that bad of a guy, and the Final Solution is still a great idea." I'm just saying that I've had a change of heart about the merits of a band's music.

That band just happens to be Fall Out Boy.

Comments

Stephen said…
Great band. Certainly one of the best modern "pop-punk" bands that set a precedent for the way a lot of bands after them conducted themselves on a bigger scale. I.E. They were punk/hardcore dudes that took the "we are in a band, but we're the same as you" model and brought that to about the biggest level a band like that can take it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J