Skip to main content

Thank you, crap

I'm not one to gloat and I'm very hesitant to quote a certain cheesy pop country song, but I thought it would be fun to do share a little dating stuff after I read this article. Since the article looks at seven types of guys girls date, I wanted to describe some of the girls that I dated before I dated the lady I'm currently (very, very happily) with.

The Whiner
Hey, I seem like a confident person on the outside, but inside, I whine a lot. I also sigh a lot. Especially when it comes to talking about how hard my job is. No one will ever understand how hard my job is and how unfair people treat me there. And on top of that, any offers of getting feedback or receiving consolation will be made light of because you don't work at my job. I also think getting excited about an airing of the Blade Runner theatrical cut on cable TV is soooo lame.

The Partygoer
I want you to meet this guy; he's one of my best friends. And this guy too. He's really, really cool. We're best friends too. I might get drunk and make out with one of them, but we're friends. We're like brother and sister. You want to go get a drink?

The I'm Not Interested
I smile a lot when I see you and I really enjoy talking with you, but asking me out on a date is just out of the question. My facial expression will turn from smile to sheer puzzlement when you ask such. I'll say I'm not interested and we shall part, and maybe we'll run into each other via mutual friends. Have a nice life.

I don't begin to pretend that I've been a saint or that engaging of a person over the years, but I really had to be open to things to understand what is out there. I had to get a better understanding of who I am and what I'm about before I could find anybody else. If I get excited about the theatrical cut of Blade Runner airing on SciFi Channel, then I shouldn't feel ashamed if my girlfriend thinks that's stupid. If I can't help tapping along to a song I like, or even air-drumming, I should not feel like a moron for doing that.

All I can say is that I'm very thankful for all the crap I had to deal with over the years before I got to this point. It's made me realize what's treasure and what's garbage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J