Skip to main content

Come Pick Me Up

Songs in my head:
"Hello Hawk" by Superchunk
"Cursed Mirror" by Superchunk
"Good Dreams" by Superchunk

Last night, I wrote and laid down a bassline for "Four Corners" in a little over an hour. The last time I played a bass, I didn't realize how effectively bass players like Bruce Foxton, Bruce Thomas, Sterling Morrisson and Peter Hook played. I still can't play like them, but I try to emulate their approaches. Jason coached me on ideas and I think what I came up with sounded good.

More info about the upcoming Ian Curtis biopic is on NME. Jude Law may work as Curtis, but I think they should find an unknown. It's one of those cases where it's better for Ian Curtis to be the spotlight, not some well-known actor. You never know: Jamie Foxx nailed Ray Charles down . . .

Remember the Eels? They're now on Vagrant Records. Read all about it here.

Here is some very cool info about Ash's upcoming American release of Meltdown. I will be picking this up for the bonus tracks and the DVD, thus making it the third version I will have of this record. I have the single album version and the version with a bonus live record. I'm not usually this completist on bands but when a band you love only releases records in their homeland, you go the distance. Plus, you never know if their records will ever get released in the US.

Speaking of which, I ordered the Manics' Lifeblood yesterday. I have looked all the net for a US release date and put two and two together. It's not going to happen anytime soon. CD Wow had it for $16 and some change (shipping included!). Speaking of which, the word is that the American domestic release of the 2CD/DVD the Holy Bible reissue is March 1st. Yes, I think the record is a little too dark at times, but I think it's really good. I'm looking forward to hearing the US mix and seeing the DVD . . .

David Yates will direct Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Read the little blurb here. Who is David Yates? Click here for his bio.

The Mars Volta's website has relaunched. Frances the Mute will be released on March 1st.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J