Skip to main content

To Whom Should I Write

Songs in my head:
"Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over)" by the Four Tops
"MacArthur Park Part II" by the Four Tops
"Worlds Apart" by . . . and you will know us by the trail of dead
"Afraid Not Scared" by Ryan Adams
"To Whom Should I Write" by Mojave 3

Woke up a little earlier than normal this morning. The dog was barking like mad at nothing, which is very unusual for her. Whatever. I couldn't fall back to sleep after I got Steely Dan's "Dirty Work" stuck in my head. So I did some laundry and read more of Fargo Rock City. I just finished the chapter in which Chuck talks about his favorite metal records. This book is empowering.

This has been around for a long time and I've read it many times. However, I still find it hilarious.

Snow is expected on this first day of February. I'm all for snow but I'm not for freeway closures and icy sidewalks. The forecast says the snow will unlikely stick to the ground. I know, that's what they said about the last time it snowed/sleeted, but it was not bad.

Just to explain my side of things: having a steady cold temperature in this part of the world is strange. I've seen snow a handful of times in my life. I've seen ice less. It snowed on my birthday last year. I have no idea what the weather will be like for this year's birthday, but I do know the Grammy's will be on.

At the Aloha show, my friend Jeremy told me about this site devoted to Dallas-area music and venues. Looks very cool, especially with the message board.

MTV.com presents, The Projects That Time Forgot. Gotta love it when somebody talks about a project that never surfaces. I know, I should watch what I say about my book (that's why details are a little mum on this site). I don't want to jinx it. In regards to this article, I feel other additions should be Dr. Dre and Ice Cube's joint project, Helter Skelter, Dr. Dre's anti-Osama Bin Laden song, Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy, a 4-disc Ryan Adams box set of unreleased material, a third Blair Witch-related movie . . . .

MTV.com also has a very cool article on what constitutes an "independent" movie these days. Tying it in with the music industry is a nice move.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J