Skip to main content

Warmer Than Fire

Songs in my heads:
"Warmer Than Fire" by Ash
"The Sweetness Of Death By The Obsidian Knife" by Ash

Very eventful weekend:
Friday night was Red Animal War at the Gypsy Tea Room. This was a very special set that included the band's two former bassists, a second drummer, percussionist and even a saxophone cameo (for the rarely played, "Straight Lines for Construction Workers"). Jeff is off to Miami to drums to play with these guys and the other guys have other projects going on. I'm not sure if this was the band's final show, but it was a very cool set. I have pictures and the setlist to prove it . . . .

Saturday morning, I took Miss Juliet for another hour-long walk and got a little sun. The weather was warm (but not humid) and the sun was out in full effect, so the day was beautiful. After my shift, I opted to chill out at home and work on a two-disc Ash anthology. I put all my favorite album tracks, singles and b-sides onto two full CDs, all in chronological order. Shall be some good listening on my way down to Austin this week.

Sunday, an early kickball game gave me even more sun, but the experience was tons of fun. Some of the highlights were: Josh answering his cell phone and catching a pop-fly at the same time, two young kids playing a few innings with us while their parents played softball, Jason from the Happy Bullets caught two bobbled catches that bounced off the first baseman, and I scored a few runs.

Following the game, we had a big birthday party for my cousin. Since he turned 18, I figured I should give him something more than just a gift certificate, so I gave him Sparta's Porcelain and Ash's Meltdown. I prefaced my gift-giving by saying something along the lines of, "You may or may not have heard these bands late at the night on the Edge, but I think you'll like these bands." He appreciated them and believed he heard Porcelain a few nights before. Sometimes the effort is just putting the music into the people's hands . . .

Thanks to Torr's post about six Doves acoustic tracks, I know of another cool blog to check out on a regular basis.

Rolling Stone lists ten artists that currently have a lot of promotional dollars behind them.

Bob posted some news about the final Hey Mercedes show and the artwork for the final EP. Maybe "That's Right, I Said It" will be the live track . . .

I shall be in Austin this weekend for SxSW. This is my first time and I have no idea what's in store. More info next week . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J