Skip to main content

Objection your honor! The pod race was pretty cool.

In preparation for this movie that will open with a PG-13 rating, I watched this movie and this movie over the weekend. Understand this, I am a huge fan of A New Hope and it may very well be my overall favorite of the entire series. Maybe because of the fact that Episode IV feels like the most "complete" film of the six movies and the character arcs of Luke, Han Solo and Leia are so strong, but I can't pinpoint one reason. Anyway, when I saw Episodes I and II in the theater, I really enjoyed them, but I wasn't as emotionally charged by them like the original trilogy. Not helping my attempt to make a concrete opinion were the annoyingly loud moans, groans, gripes and harsh critiques I read and heard. I know there is different vibe to the prequels, but after viewing them again, I feel that they are incredibly underrated and misunderstood.

I've trusted Lucas but now I really get what he's been saying all along. Themes of oppression, control, destiny, everyone's sense of purpose (whether good, bad or goofy), father figures and love run throughout all of the movies, but I realized how incredibly prevalent they are in the prequels. I feel there is so much philosophy, wisdom and an incredibly intricate weaving of themes in the prequels that enable Episodes IV, V and VI make even more sense.

The magic of a movie is how the audience can be engaged with its story. No matter how much or how little the production value is, if a film can engage the audience, that is the secret to its success. Now I can understand why somebody would call the characters in Episodes I and II "wooden" or "wallpaper," but this is misleading; there is more character development in the prequels than meets the eye. Would we really buy Darth Vader if Anakin was this wild, crazy, rude and melodramatic person with no restraint? Vader is slow and menacing while also having amazing physical strength and a lot of restraint. Yet there is a lot of good in him. Seriously, were people expecting some sort of Damien ala the Omen?

This leads me to question this, what were people expecting with the prequels? Star Wars is not Lord of the Rings or The Matrix and I seriously doubt that a film like Star Wars would be made today. A six-part throwback to Saturday morning serials filled with mythology and philosophy with no bankable stars? No way.

I just do not understand why people whine and moan about the little things in the Star Wars saga, especially Lucas' never-ending changes to them. It's frustrating that Lucas may never really make up his mind on things, but the deal is, it's his movie in a public domain. I recognize the changes from the originals to the special editions and I don't mind them (save for the rather over-the-top dance scene in Return of the Jedi). As long as Anakin Skywalker goes from a good kid to a baddie and his children redeem him, I will always connect with Star Wars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five

Originally posted on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006 : For some, Ben Folds Five was merely a one hit wonder. For others, the trio was a life-changer. Myself, I’m one of the latter. Being formally introduced with the “Battle of Who Could Care Less” video on 120 Minutes , I was very intrigued to know more about this piano-bass-drums combo. Once I heard Whatever and Ever Amen , I was hooked. As a matter of fact, out of all of my favorite bands, Ben Folds Five is one of the few that I liked right away and I have held the same kind of admiration ever since. Their three proper albums (and one b-sides collection) are staples in my record collection and they may very well be (or soon be) staples in your collection too. For a band that was once described as “punk rock for sissies,” you may realize how effortlessly these guys walked between fun, semi-goofy pop songs and some really deep and powerful stuff too. It helps that they had it right from the beginning and kept maturing. Ben Folds Five (1995) ...

Politics Shmolitics

Yesterday, the more pleas I saw for people to go out and vote, the more uncomfortable I felt. Plenty of the blogs I hit up everyday said something along the lines of "Vote and if you don't, don't complain." Folks, this is why I find discussing politics so alienating. There are plenty of reasons why I don't discuss politics on here or in my everyday conversations. The biggest reason is because I don't have a lot of interest in politics in the first place. By what I've seen, heard and read for the last eight years, political debates are usually pissing contests. Judging by the views I've processed, it would be easy to think that we're all slowly going downhill either on the left, right or down the middle. Yet I don't think we're going totally downhill or totally uphill. Debating the direction we're going seems futile, especially when adults start screaming at each other like they're in grade school. To my ears, political debates are s...