Skip to main content

Mattress Mac

I'm 95% sure about this, but I believe Mattress Mac was on Dr. Phil yesterday.

Who is Mattress Mac? Well, if you lived in Houston anytime in the '80s or '90s, you may remember seeing him in his Gallery Furniture TV ads. He stood in front of a green screen and sometimes wore a mattress case (hence the nickname). His outro was always "Gallery will save you money!" and he jumped up with dollars in his hand as he enthusiastically said it.

I haven't lived in Houston for four years so I'm not sure if he's still on Gallery Furniture's ads. However, watching Dr. Phil yesterday, I think Jim "Mattress Mac" McIngvale was on TV for a different reason.

The episode's topic was on OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Jim's 18-year-old daughter suffers from OCD and she discussed her condition with Dr. Phil. Not only was she interviewed by Dr. Phil, but her parents were interviewed too. Since this problem is a serious matter, seeing whom I believed was the Mattress Mac just as "Jim" on the show was a change of pace.

For me, I could really relate to the episode's topic because I have shades of OCD. Anxiety is the root of this and I work with it on a daily basis. Anxiety doesn't control me like it used to, but it still floats in my thoughts.

In my opinion, any person that is a guest on Dr. Phil is brave. Brave because these people are willing to talk openly with millions of viewers about their personal problems. I don't think I could talk that openly about my personal problems with a large nationwide audience (blogging doesn't count). So, seeing Mattress Mac as a human just like anyone else was pretty inspiring.

I should add this: when I was in third grade, Mattress Mac came to my school for a motivational talk. I believe he told us an anti-drug message and the overall tone of his talk was vastly different from his commercial persona. In other words, I've seen Mattress Mac as Jim McIngvale before, but seeing him on Dr. Phil was an even more different change of pace.

Just a nice reminder that people in the public eye are people too.

Comments

Kev said…
So I wonder if Dr. Phil paid Mattress Mac to be on the show, or did Mac do it for free and thus SAVE! HIM! MONEY! ??

(Not trying to be too flip here on a serious post, but I just felt the urge to quote the Gallery Furniture commercials in some way.)
Eric Grubbs said…
I think it GAVE! US! PIECE OF MIND!

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J