Skip to main content

In Defense of Drums

Kev chimes in with a handful of musician jokes so I had to add some of the jokes I've heard about my musical instrument of choice. Here are a few:

What do you call a guy that hangs out with musicians?
A drummer.

What's the last thing a drummer says before he leaves a band?
"Hey guys, let's try a song that I wrote."

How do you get a drummer off your porch?
Give him the $12 for the pizza.

What do you call a drummer that just broke up with his girlfriend?
Homeless.

I know, "har har har." I've heard these jokes for years and think they're pretty funny too. However, the perception that a drummer is a loser/non-musician is a misnomer. There are/were plenty of smart people behind the skins that treat the beating of drums and cymbals as musical instruments. They think of drums as single-note bells; each drum and cymbal represent a different note. It's up to the one holding the sticks to make the notes work.

I think drums work best when they compliment and energize the song. Drummers like John Bonham, Stewart Copeland, Jimmy Chamberlin and Dave Grohl had their own personalities in their playing, but I don't think they were overplaying. As the line goes, they played for the song. Yes, there was overplaying in spots (worst offense, "Moby Dick"), but most of the time, there was enough space for the guitars, vocals and whatever else. That's the role that I use in my playing.

I've been asked to play simpler, ala Meg White from the White Stripes, and I just refuse. It's too simple and to be honest, I'd get too bored playing one simple, thudding beat over and over again. The beats and fills must augment everything else while keeping a steady beat.

I don't know, maybe there's some drummer joke in all of this.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Charlie Watts is simple. Meg White is just lame. I mean, she's better than whichever Wiggins sister drummed for The Shaggs, but not by a whole lot.
Anonymous said…
I agree, Charlie Watts doesn't overdo it, and he's consider one of the world's best drummers. Ringo Starr keeps it pretty simple as well. What they lack in drum rolls and overthetopness (I just made up that word) is made up for in their perfect timing. --jh
Eric Grubbs said…
Charlie Watts was awesome back in the day. His drumming on Between the Buttons is fantastic. All I'm saying is, it's annoying when the drummer doesn't hold up his/her end of the band. It varies with every band, so in the case of the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, I think Watts and Starr added a tremendous amount to the songs, even in their simplicity. Now in the case of Jet . . .
Kev said…
You can draw a comparison to many situations here: there are musicians who play the drums, and there are just "drummers" (some would say the ones who are also musicians might better be called "percussionists"). It's sort of the same way some people are bass players, while others are simply bass owners. It's the hacks among us that spawn many of the musician jokes that have been flying around this week (but hey, they're still funny).

Remind me sometime on a "slow news day" and I'll post the story of the drummer who overindulged a bit on a gig I was on in college.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J