Skip to main content

Degrassi Jr. High

For years, a certain conversation in Kevin Smith's Chasing Amy has always made me curious about Degrassi Jr. High:

Holden: So, uh, what do you wanna do tonight?
Banky Edwards: I dunno. Get a pizza, watch Degrassi Jr. High.
Holden: You got a weird thing for Canadian melodrama.
Banky Edwards: I got a weird thing for girls who say, "Aboot."

I never saw Degrassi on PBS while I was growing up. For me, PBS was Sesame Street, 3, 2, 1 Contact and stuffy programs about stuffy news and art. So when Jason picked up the first season of the show on DVD last night, I felt compelled to watch a few episodes.

I must say, after viewing only two episodes, I think this is good, quality stuff. It's funny, melodramatic and closer to what middle school was really like compared to something like Boy Meets World or Full House. It deals with issues like homosexuality, divorce and peer pressure on a level that isn't sappy or preachy. This definitely wasn't primetime sugary sweetness; this reminded me of my own middle school days.

High school was way better than middle school for me. The beginning of middle school saw me learning to understand music a little better, doing theater and hanging out with friends that I could file under a "best friend" category. By the end of middle school, I was still learning a great deal about music (Nirvana and all things grunge came in 7th grade), not doing theater and not hanging out with the same people that I once categorized as "best friends." After going through all that stuff (and other angsty stuff) in middle school, high school was a relatively easy ride.

6th, 7th and 8th grades are these very strange years for kids. We're not little kids anymore, we're growing hair in places that never had hair before, we're not thinking cooties are that bad, we're a little pissy at times and other things. These changes would be glimpses of what was to come in high school (for better or worse).

Watching what the characters in Degrassi Jr. High and Freaks and Geeks went through, I've come to the conclusion that I didn't have the warped middle school experience that I thought I had. I know that's not the kind of fodder that always yields gigantic ratings and big marketing tie-ins, but I truly give a hand to people that make something closer to real life and that is watchable over and over again.

Comments

Kev said…
"High school was way better than middle school for me."

No joke. I think high school was better than middle school for everyone. You're right--those three years are just...awkward.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J