Skip to main content

Not Fickle, Just Choosy in 2005

It fascinates me how some bands are paraded with compliments one year and are egged with harsh criticism only a short time later. . . . And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead were pegged as saviors of rock when Source Tags & Codes came out in 2002, but this year, there were way more negative reviews of Worlds Apart than positive reviews. Maybe that's the standard definition of backlash. I think of it more as what Kevin Smith went through with Mallrats when it first came out. He describes the feeling as one minute people want to hear what you say and think and then another minute the same people are telling you that your ideas suck. Is this being a fickle turncoat? I don't think so. People judge a work one at a time because loyalty can be blinding.

This year, a couple of bands that I really like their earlier efforts released new records: Coldplay and Death Cab for Cutie. Here are my reasons for why I didn't bother picking up their new records:

Coldplay, X&Y
I'm a big fan of Coldplay's first album, Parachutes. Yeah, there are some Radiohead and Jeff Buckley overtones on it, but it's a warm and beautiful album from start to finish. With A Rush of Blood to the Head, there are a number of standout tracks, like the title track, "In My Place," and "Clocks." However, this album began a writing style that I couldn't really grasp: building parts with rather lame payoffs. Songs build and build, but a lot of them just whimper out in the delivery. I'm not implying that the band softened their sound for a broader audience, but it just sounds like the band is playing it too safe with the melodies.

With the gargantuan amount of press surrounding X&Y, I gagged at the sight of it. Does it really matter if they are or aren't "the next U2?" No. Coldplay will be Coldplay just like U2 has been U2-two different bands! So I see all this speculation every day for a few weeks straight and then certain tracks appear online. First single "Speed of Sound" is a safe rocker with an awesome atmospheric piano line but a rather lame feel to it (calling it a "Clocks Jr." is a good assessment). Then a couple more tracks are heard on a certain radio show/podcast that I like to listen to and a blog that used to be around and decide this: I'm gonna wait X&Y out and borrow a friend's copy. That moment hasn't come yet.

Death Cab for Cutie, Plans
I've never watched a full episode of the O.C. I'm aware that a certain character on the show really likes them and the band's music has been featured, but that's all I know. For me, I've been a very picky fan of Death Cab. I felt for quite a few years that their best material was their Forbidden Love EP, a collection of songs that weren't really labored over. That opinion changed when I heard Transatlanticism. The band's rather timid approach to rocking out was thankfully not there anymore and the songs hold incredibly well together.

With Plans, I didn't really get into the few tracks I heard online. First single "Soul Meets Body" is a good, dancey song with acoustic guitars. Definitely a change in what they had done before, but not a vast change. Then, after hearing a couple of tracks that Jeff posted on his blog, I decided to hold off buying Plans. The songs were too mellow and lifeless to get into.

So there you have it, one person's explanation as to why certain new records get a cold shoulder. I don't mean to be a fickle or passive listener, but there is plenty of other stuff out there that it's hard to give enough individualized attention to records that don't really impress me.

Comments

Eric said…
Plans = worst DCFC album yet. Maybe it just takes a whole lot more to impress these days.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J