Skip to main content

The Life Pursuit

I've been digging Belle and Sebastian's sixth proper LP, The Life Pursuit, quite a lot lately. I don't know how they do it, but they keep putting out really good records. A much more electric and keyboard-heavy record than before, I can't help but compare a number of songs to 70s glam rock and Steely Dan. For a band that used to remind me of the energy of Stereolab's faster material, I think it's amazing that B&S can still hold it together over the years. Not every band is this lucky.

A pundit's opinion of B&S is that the only B&S record you need to have is If You're Feeling Sinister. While I would not argue that the record is their best from start to finish, they have so many good songs on their other records that warrant listening too. I know a lot of their songs sound alike, but they're different enough for me to enjoy them as their own. It's kind of like the Ramones' back catalog: you're not going to find much variation, but if you can't get enough of it, you're rewarded.

One thing that has remained consistent with B&S's sound is that it owes a large debt to older Top 40 pop music. I'm not talking Human League here; I'm talking artists from the '60s and '70s like Phil Spector, Burt Bacharach, Motown and a whole slew of other pop giants. The cool thing is, the band makes contemporary music without aping the sound of the Wrecking Crew or the Funk Brothers. You definitely hear the influence, but they sound more like art school students doing their own version of it.

I think it's awesome that bands are still out there that owe a lot to the kind of Top 40 pop you first heard in the '60s and '70s. I firmly believe that the music industry drastically changed once desire and technology became even more influential in the '70s. Back when artists had to really play as perfectly as possible, there was still a human element to the music. With technology rendering more polished sounds and with labels and artists wanting to reach as many people as possible, some dilution started stirring. But that's just the mechanics; what about the songs' melodies (you know, the stuff that makes us hum along and make a connection)? They're always there, but just in a different mold.

In an age where most bands peter out after a couple of records, I strongly believe that B&S are one of the few bands that still puts out fine records well after their initial buzz has gone out. I'm very well aware of people who haven't dug their last few records for various reasons, but I gotta give the band credit for keeping going strong. Only a few other prominent not-really-obscure-but-not-Top-40-material artists (like Wilco and Aimee Mann) can have a large audience and not succumb to pitiful lows after a few years of greatness. People aren't going to go crazy over The Life Pursuit the way they went over If You're Feeling Sinister and The Boy With the Arab Strap, but there will be people that will enjoy what they hear.

Comments

josh Mueller said…
Even more amusing is that they do it with a revolving door of bandmates.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J