Skip to main content

sXe

There was a time in college when I agreed with the idea of being Straight Edge (sXe for short). As someone who wasn't interested in drinking (hated the smell/taste of alcohol), smoking/doing drugs (didn't see any long-term benefits in using them) or fooling around (ditto in the long run), I thought straight edge was right for me. Boy, was I wrong.

I probably saw more straight edge extremists than normal straight edge folks back in the day, but the extremists showed me how out of line they could get. Hearing of people getting beaten down because they disagreed with their views, people slapping drinks out of people's hands and so on, I felt like this was the blind leading the blind. In my eyes, straight edge had become a religious cult with violence. This was not cool to me and I soon distanced myself from it. In this case in particular, I saw the dangers in having strong beliefs versus having ideas.

For the textbook definition: straight edge as a belief came from lyrics in a song by Minor Threat called "Straight Edge." Though lyricist Ian MacKaye was merely stating that being straight was better for him, others dictated Straight Edge as a dogmatic way of life. Thus began the problem. People felt it was necessary to dictate their alcohol-free, smoke-free, drug-free and fooling around-free (and in some cases, cruelty-free by being a vegan and advocating animal rights) lives to others, whether they liked it or not. Whatever means it took to get the message out, almost anything went.

A lot of younger people alienated by the partying lifestyle found straight edge to be a life preserver. However, when a loosely-structured group of people defines itself by strict boundaries, problems usually emerge. Groups of people felt they knew what was best for everyone and for those that didn't adhere to their beliefs, there would be trouble.

What I didn't understand about alcohol consumption for the longest time was the act of moderation. While my parents and my high school health class told me about it, I didn't fully understand moderation until I got into college. I used to think that just a little alcohol would cause blurred vision, terrible hangovers and car wrecks if you drank while you drove. Well, there is a wide distance between having a drink and one too many drinks. I guess I responded more to the slippery-slope kinds of warnings more than anything else in those days.

These days, I don't smoke, abuse drugs or fool around and rarely drink. I don't claim to be better than people because I don't have those vices, but I won't lie: I don't really enjoy being sober around drunk people. I've only been mildly-buzzed/drunk a handful of times in my life and I have never had a desire to intentionally get drunk.

For various reasons, I feel very uncomfortable being around people who act all loopy and silly because of their alcohol consumption. Whether it's at a party or at a show, I become incredibly uptight and essentially cut myself off from these people. I don't feel compelled to read people the riot act, but I don't feel like I can be open with people that are in this state. Oftentimes these people are loud, obnoxious and appear to have very little regard to the environment they are in. That's really uncomfortable to be around.

As uncomfortable as it is to be around this, I think about other positive ways to deal with all of this. I've always been open to help out my friends if they need help (whether it's a ride home, a glass of water, etc.), but I don't force myself onto my friends. I'm not interested in being a moral crusader because I need to get my head on straight instead of trying straighten other people's heads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J