Skip to main content

Ghouls Night Out

Our third Halloween passed us last night without a hitch. Jason and I, along with our friend (and new neighbor) Ryan, gave out 90% of the candy we had in 45 minutes. We thought we were prepared; we had twelve bags total and wanted to save some for our big party this weekend. Well, we packed it in early and we didn't turn anybody down, but our street was packed once again. Police were directing traffic and everything. Pure insanity, right? Not really. Just a lot of people coming and going.

I will to admit to playing favorites with passing out my favorite candy. As a fan of Reese's white chocolate cups, I handed them out to kids that had really cool costumes. One dressed as Spider-Man, one dressed as Jason Vorhees, one dressed in the ghost Scream costume and one dressed as Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter books. Everybody else got KitKat, M&Ms, Almond Joy, Snickers, Butterfinger and regular Reese's peanut butter cups. What we have left is a plastic Jack-O-Lantern not even 2/4ths full with assorted candy.

We quietly ventured outside of our house to check out what all our neighbors did for the night. Some went really over the top (some giant spiders, a graveyard lit up by plastic Halloween-themed displays) while some kept it really simple (sit on the front of the lawn with folding chairs). At no point did we ever see things get out of hand. There were no fights, screaming children or juvenile behavior. This got me thinking.

I've met a few people over the years that equate Halloween with pagan worship. Well, in my time as a trick-or-treater and a candy-giver, I have never seen lambs be sacrificed, orgies or dances around fires. Halloween, like Christmas and Thanksgiving, benefit from being watered-down and mainstream. They're very safe, kid-friendly get-togethers. With Halloween, it's supervised by parents and in the case of my street, aided by friendly police officers. How can any of this be a bad thing?

Well, yes, there are bad eggs that like to play cruel jokes and TP houses, but that stuff is tame compared to what fear-induced people think Halloween is all about. The dead don't rise out of their graves and witches don't fly across the sky. If anything, it's a friendly version of door-to-door visits with no ulterior motives.

As I stated last year, I'm definitely making up for lost time with the last few Halloweens I've experienced. When I lived in an apartment, nobody came by and the night felt awkward. I'd watch Halloween and/or Halloween 2 and go to bed. Last night, I passed out candy, walked down the street with my friends, watched Halloween with the commentary track on and three Simpsons' 'Treehouse of Horror' episodes. Amazing what getting out of my cornered view will do.

Comments

Unknown said…
personally i keep looking for the pagan party!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J