Skip to main content

The Hurt Process

Since there is a dearth of information on the Internet about Boxer, I want to say a few things. Quite a few things actually. In a time between releasing face to face's Live! and the Get Up Kids' Something to Write Home About, Vagrant Records had a few relatively unknown bands on their label. They had previously done one-off 7"s, distributed some records and released the first volume of Before You Were Punk. Now, they were signing bands and had a few in the pipeline. Inserted in the liner notes of Live!, it was there that I first read about Boxer.

Described as "Shades of Lifetime and the Promise Ring," I was very curious to hear this Boston-based four-piece. I was just getting into those aforementioned bands and was all ears with what The Hurt Process had to offer. Ordering the record without hearing a note, I was really taken with what I heard. There was definitely a comparison to Lifetime with the speedy tempos and melancholy melodies. But the wavering vocals sounded like frontman Dave Vicini was having a panic-fueled freakout. Still, I liked it. A lot.

What seems like such a short time now didn't feel like it when the band was around. Hitting the road supporting the record, they had an augmented line-up. Drummer Chris Pennie opted to work with the then-unknown Dillinger Escape Plan and was replaced by former Get Up Kids drummer Nathan Shay. Also adding a second guitarist to the fold, Boxer was out and about, but not for long. They had some new songs and planned on doing a second album, but the band fell apart in 1999.

Boxer was one of many great bands that burned brightly, albeit shortly. Like their fellow brethren Empire State Games, they kicked major ass and their music still resonates. Though their stories don't carry as much leverage as bands like Braid, the Promise Ring and Hot Water Music for what I wanted to do with POST, I haven't forgotten them. I must say, it's strange to love a band so much but seven years later, it's almost like they never existed. I'm glad people like Eric and Amy remember them, but in a world that seemingly only cares about what matters to a young target demographic today, the fight to not forget is difficult.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will definitely never forget these guys. They were best friends of ours. Always staying with us, taking us on the road to shows with them. I met Dave through Kevin at Vagrant and instantly fell in love with Boxer. The Hurt Process is hands down one of my all time favorite albums. Eric and I have extremely fond memories of these guys and can't listen to that album without tippin' a lil' out.

Thanks for posting about them.
Unknown said…
Boxer and Empire State Games both incredible.

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J