Skip to main content

Energy for what?

As I noticed an unopened can of Rockstar Energy Drink in my fridge this afternoon, I got to thinking about energy drinks in general. What's the appeal of something like Red Bull or Rockstar? What kind of "energy" do you really get from one? And why are they so popular when mixed with hard liquor?

I've only had one experience with Red Bull and it was quite a trip. While attending a party one block away from my house, I decided to try this beloved mix of Red Bull and vodka. Funny thing is, I don't remember if I had one or two cups of this concoction; it was that strong. The whole night was not a blur, but I was pretty buzzed until I went to bed at 3am. I was talking really fast and was not very restrained. And this was with Diet Red Bull.

I think energy drinks would come in handy if you were really tired at work and trying to get through the day. I've had no interest in having one at my job. Sometimes I'll have a half-cup of coffee and that will be enough. As for co-workers, I have yet to see any of them have one. And I work at a place that is manned 24/7/365. I think they would be really popular with students who like to stay up late and cram the night before a test or a paper, but I'm not in high school or college anymore.

I have seen plenty of Red Bull and vodkas ordered at the few bars I regularly go to. They sure are popular, but I wonder how much of an energy boost someone would really want on a late night bar trip. It's as if they mixed Mountain Dew with rum or vodka. What are you going to do after that? Go surfboarding?

Help me out here folks. Do you really enjoy a shot of sugar-filled energy late at night with your alcoholic intake? Is there something about the taste that makes it so tempting to have? What gives?

Comments

Rj said…
Q. Energy for what?

A. Energy to stay up and drink more!
Ted said…
Never tried the Upper/downer drink of Red Bull and V because if I'm going to drink, I'm going to drink to get drunk. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Catherine Wheel

Originally posted: Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 Despite managing to release five proper albums, Catherine Wheel was one of those bands that always seemed to slip past the mainstream rock crowd. Yes, they got some nice airplay in their day, but people seem to have forgotten about them. You may hear “Black Metallic” or “Waydown” on a “classic alternative” show on Sirius or XM or maybe even on terrestrial radio, but that’s about it. For me, they were one of most consistent rock bands of the ’90s, meandering through shoegazer, hard rock, space rock and pop rock, all while eluding mainstream pigeonholing. Led by the smooth, warm pipes of vocalist/guitarist Rob Dickinson (cousin of Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson), Catherine Wheel featured Brian Futter on lead guitar, Dave Hawes on bass and Neil Sims on drums. They weren’t a pretty-boy guitar band, but they weren’t a scuzzy bunch of ragamuffins either. Though the band hailed from England, Catherine Wheel found itself more welcome on American air

Best of 2021

  Last year, my attention span was not wide enough to listen to a lot of LPs from start to finish. Too much went on in 2020 to focus on 10-15 albums, so I went with only a couple to spotlight. Well, 2021 was a little better, as I have a list of top four records, and a lot of individual tracks.  (I made a lengthy Spotify playlist ) So, without further ado, here’s my list of favorites of the year: Albums Deafheaven, Infinite Granite (listen) Hands down, my favorite album of the year. I was not sure where Deafheaven would go after another record that brought My Bloody Valentine and death metal fans together, but they beautifully rebooted their sound on Infinite Granite. The divisive goblin vocals are vastly pared-down here, as are the blast beats. Sounding more inspired by Slowdive, the band has discovered a new sonic palette that I hope they explore more of in the future. It’s a welcome revelation. I still love their older material, but this has renewed my love of what these guys do.  J